I Haven't Seen You In A Long Time

gawguy

I actually mean "seen" with my eyes, not "met"

How is this for a guess - if it is poorly worded, why? :

ไม่ได้เห็นคุณมานานๆà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§

It would be understood as are most things foreigners say with squirrelly constructs (because we get a LOT of latitude) but..

ไม่ได้ is 'not able to'.. To negate a verb you don't have to add ได้ to it, just put ไม่ in front.

คุณ seems a little overly formal if it's someone you know, but that could just be me never ever addressing anyone as คุณ.

Thaiz will use the word "face" like ไม่เห็นหน้ามานานà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§; (or หน้าเธอ if it's a gurl meaning "your face") Haven't seen (your) face in quite a while. Really the เธอ isn't needed; in one on one conversations NO ONE needs to use pronouns and both the speaker and the listener know they're first person statements.

Just a curious question, why don't you wanna use เจอà¸à¸±à¸™? It's far more colloquial like;

ว้าว! เราไม่เจอà¸à¸±à¸™à¸¡à¸²à¸™à¸²à¸™à¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§; as in Wow! We haven't met in quite a while..

It would be understood as are most things foreigners say with squirrelly constructs (because we get a LOT of latitude) but..

ไม่ได้ is 'not able to'.. To negate a verb you don't have to add ได้ to it, just put ไม่ in front.

คุณ seems a little overly formal if it's someone you know, but that could just be me never ever addressing anyone as คุณ.

Thaiz will use the word "face" like ไม่เห็นหน้ามานานà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§; (or หน้าเธอ if it's a gurl meaning "your face") Haven't seen (your) face in quite a while. Really the เธอ isn't needed; in one on one conversations NO ONE needs to use pronouns and both the speaker and the listener know they're first person statements.

Just a curious question, why don't you wanna use เจอà¸à¸±à¸™? It's far more colloquial, like:

ว้าว! เราไม่เจอà¸à¸±à¸™à¸¡à¸²à¸™à¸²à¸™à¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§; as in Wow! We haven't met in quite a while..

Thank you again t-d for the clear, detailed, rather academic explanation. I like academic.

"...why don't you wanna use เจอà¸à¸±à¸™?"

For one reason, I use เจอà¸à¸±à¸™ all the time in text msgs and I was looking for a little variety - a nicety in English, but maybe silly in Thai? Secondly, this girl is actually one I see by chance well down the length of the beach road when I take my evening exercise walk. I saw her every day at the same place after I first met her and I would stop and talk for a minute.

I'm probably wrong, but เจอà¸à¸±à¸™ suggests intent to me, even mutual intent, which is say that to me it implies that we were planning to meet. That's how I always use it. Am I wrong? And what about พบà¸à¸±à¸™, which might be a little less intentional?

For the moment I will send off a text with: ไม่เห็นหน้ามานานà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§

Thank you.

GG :bow:

Well, gawguy I've been called a LOT of thingz in my time, (especially when it comes to my take on "all-thingz-thai") but this is the first time I've been accused of giving an 'academic explanation', :surprised: 555+.

I'm just a dumb hillbilly from ohio and a cunning linguist I am NOT.. :eek:

Your reluctance to use เจอ totally makes sense in the context of it's a by chance meeting, not anything you purposely set up or routinely do. :wink:

thanx for the thanx

Well, gawguy I've been called a LOT of thingz in my time, (especially when it comes to my take on "all-thingz-thai") but this is the first time I've been accused of giving an 'academic explanation', :surprised: 555+.

I'm just a dumb hillbilly from ohio and a cunning linguist I am NOT.. :eek:

Your reluctance to use เจอ totally makes sense in the context of it's a by chance meeting, not anything you purposely set up or routinely do. :wink:

thanx for the thanx

Well... your explanations in this forum are clear and analytical. Much appreciated and always a pleasure.

I immediately registered your use of the word "squirrelly" - very colloquial as you say and now you say you are from Hillbilly stock in Ohio. I am the same. Father born in 1919 and raised on farm in Illinois. We visited there many times in my early childhood and, though I'm not proud of it all these years later, we did hunt and we did shoot squirrels with .22 for target practice. We skinned and roasted them sometimes. We also shot / ate rabbits and bullfrogs.

BTW are you familiar with Hickory Nuts? I have never seen or heard of them outside of Illinois. Easy enough to gather and incredibly hard to shell. Like trying to break a ball bearing. Then you get just a little "meat" for your effort, but it is really delicious. It would be interesting if someone else has come across them.

GG