The War In Southern Thailand Is Long-Running And Threatens To Spread

acockasian

This is one of the best examples of journalism I've seen on the topic of the problems in southern Thailand.

He even goes as far as to state “....who have shunned attempts to align themselves with Islamist terrorist organisations like al-Qaeda and Jemaah Islamiyah,â€

We seem to have lost this in the United States. If you can't talk about a problem you can't fix it. Don't know as much as some about the southern Thailand insurgency but from what I do know this journalist has nailed it.

I will buy a beer for the next Australian I meet as I am genuinely impressed.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/the-war-in-southern-thailand-is-longrunning-and-threatens-to-spread-20150605-gha6aa

"Ethnic Malay militants have not accepted Thailand's assimilation policies dating back to the country's conquest of the sultanate of Patani in the early 20th century."

Another fuck too damned lazy to do his research. What the hell is wrong with these people? Bangkok conquered Pattani in 1785 and has ruled it ever since. All that happened in 1909 was the British and Thais decided who got to keep what. The Thais didn't gain one square inch. Instead, they gave up their claim to much more territory:

<< Article 1: The Siamese government transfers to the British government all rights of suzerainty, protection, administration and control whatsoever which they possess over the states of Kelantan,Tringganu, Kedah, Perlis, and adjacent islands. The frontiers of these territories are defined by the boundary protocol annexed hereto.

Article 2: The transfer provided for in the preceding article shall take place within thirty days after the ratification of this treaty. >>

Now tell me what part of this says the Brits gave Pattani to the Thais. What they did was acknowledge that the Thais already had it. I DESPISE lazy journalists.

<< This agreement has had a long-lasting effect on both Thailand and the Federation of Malaysia. The border between them was mainly drawn by this treaty. The incremental tide of discontent generated by the Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909 may have, in part laid the foundations for the South Thailand insurgency in Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat from the 1960s to the present. The agreement effectively divided the northern Malay states into two parts. The area around modern Pattani (Malay: ڤتنا (Patani)), Narathiwat (Malay: منارة (Menara)), southernmost Songkhla (Malay: سيڠڬورا (Singgora)), Satun (Malay: مقيم ستل (Mukim Setul)) and Yala (Malay: جال (Jala)) remained under Thai control, while Thailand relinquished its claims to sovereinty over Kedah (Thai: ไทรบุรี (Saiburi)), Kelantan (Thai: à¸à¸¥à¸±à¸™à¸•à¸±à¸™ (Kalantan)), Perlis (Thai: ปะลิส (Palit)) and Tregannu (Thai: ตรังà¸à¸²à¸™à¸¹ (Trangkanu)) which integrated the British speheres of influence as protectorates. These four states, along with Johor , later became known as the Unfederated Malay States. Although the treaty had cultural impacts and was responsible for giving away pieces of land, it was also responsible for maintaining the independence of Siam. >>

http://en.wikipedia...._Treaty_of_1909

• Like 1

If you want to blame somebody, blame supernationalist Field Marshall Pibunsongkram, one of the planners of the 1932 coup that brought "democracy" to Thailand.

<< Until well into the 20th century, the government in Bangkok had relied on local officials in the implementation of policies within the Patani region, including the exemption in implementing Thai Civil Law, which had allowed Muslims to continue their observance of local laws based on Islam regarding issues on inheritance and family. However, by 1934 Marshall Plaek Pibunsingkram set in motion of a process of Thaification which had as its objective the cultural assimilation of the Patani people, among other ethnic groups in Thailand.

... The school curriculum was revised to that of a Thai-centric one with all lessons in the Thai language. Traditional Islamic courts that were used to handle civil cases were removed and replaced with civil courts run and approved by the central government in Bangkok. This forced assimilation process and the perceived imposition of Thai-Buddhist cultural practices upon their society became an irritant for the harmonious relationship between the ethnic Malay Patani people and the Thai state. >>