Airlines Move Toward Smaller Carry-On Luggage

baa99

I tend to push the envelope on baggage. I just flew Delta Dallas to Minneapolis to Narita to BKK. I weigh the check in bags before leaving for the airport and make sure that neither is over 23 kilos. The only airlines that have weighed my carry on are Asian airlines. If that is enforced, then I probably won't bring any more water pumps in carry on, like I did 4 years ago. When I board a flight, If there are people walking behind me, I always put the carry on on my aisle seat and move forward to allow the persons to pass me, then I put the carry on in the overhead bin. I've never felt the rush to deplane quickly but do try to get a seat as close to the exit row (that didn't work this trip). I rarely get to the baggage carousel with my bags waiting, so I don't see what the big deal is on trying to be the first people off of the plane (if it's that big a deal, fly business). What does piss me off, particularly on long haul, multi stop flights, is going through security multiple times and having my carry on checked multiple times. At BKK, Delta has you get to the airport and at the gate at least 90 minutes before take off, so after going through security, they also have you open your bag at the gate. Then, you go back through security at Narita and then again at my first stop in the U.S., Detroit. All the while, I never went outside of the "secure" zone. To get a very good rate on Delta, I had to fly round trip from Kansas City to Dallas on Southwest Airlines. That meant going from Dallas-Ft. worth International to Love Field, where Southwest is headquartered. At the end of my trip, after 36 hours of flying and being in airports, I had to check in for my Dallas to KC flight, at 4 AM (i slept at airport, so no big deal). I thought that check in would be quick, so I just took my two bags with me and left the carry on in a corner, always in my sight. When I finished, I got my bag and a Southwest agent read me the riot act about leaving a bag unattended (I am aware of the policy, as airports announce it every 5 minutes). Without going into detail, I told her that for a solo traveller, having to carry around 3 bags, was a "pain In the ass". I could have read her the riot act about taking 15 minutes to fully open for service after being told that they opened at 4AM. Fortunately, I remembered that sometimes Southwest arbitrarily denies boarding for the slightest indescresion, so I kept my mouth shout. Basically, with airlines I can go with the flow concerning baggage but security multiple times and always having to have luggage in hand, even on trips of 24-36 hours, is a major pain in the ass, at least for me.

So you'd be happy to put a laptop or expensive camera gear in the hold?

If it wasn't mine....sure :biggrin: Let's put it this way. If you can fit it under your seat I don't have a problem.

Start carrying on 3 or 4 pieces and you are pissing me off big time.

I've had skinny, long legged men spread their legs over into my "space." Not as often as obese people spilling into my "space," which hasn't happened that often. I'd be embarrassed if I had to ask a flight attendant for a seat belt extension.

If we're going to open the 'fatties pay more' argument, I say this - If I'm three times the weight and I'm paying three times the price, I want three times the space, three times the food and three times the G&Ts.

Thats how it works.

And three times the obsequious smiles, while we're at it.

Think Mr Creosote.

• Like 1