Do You Want To Test Your Sd Flash Card?

zen4dummies

A few months ago I bought a new camera and later bought a 16GB Kingston flash card. It worked OK until I accumulated more than 3GB of photos on it. When I attempted to download them a lot of them were no good: the bottom of the photo was grayed out. The problem was that I had bought a fake flash card and it was full of errors. I lost some nice pictures.

I found a utility to test flash cards, h2testw.exe. There are a few others: ChipGenious with does very little but give information about the card and Flash Drive Tester v1.14 proclaimed the card error free when it was not. FlashBench is useful if you need to know the transfer rate of a flash card or thumbdrive.

http://www.heise.de/ct/Redaktion/bo/downloads/h2testw_1.4.zip is a good download link.

Below are H2test2 results for some 8GB drives that I tested. Note that the C10 Kingston has a slower read and write speed than the C4 Sandisk.

8GB Kingston C10

Warning: Only 7451 of 7452 MByte tested.

Test finished without errors.

You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.

Writing speed: 5.06 MByte/s

Reading speed: 17.9 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

8GB SanDisk SDHC C10

Warning: Only 7571 of 7572 MByte tested.

Writing speed: 16.1 MByte/s

Reading speed: 18.3 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

8GB SanDisk SDHC C4

Warning: Only 7571 of 7572 MByte tested.

Writing speed: 6.14 MByte/s

Reading speed: 18.4 MByte/s

H2testw v1.4

Has anyone seen a test from the manufacturers? I couldn't find one.

zen

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/sd-memory-card-faq/reading-sd-card-cid-serial-psn-internal-numbers/

Information about an SD card is encoded in its internal card registries. One of these is the Card Identification (CID) Register, a 16 byte code that contains information that uniquely identifies the SD card, including the card serial number (PSN), manufacturer ID number (MID) and manufacture date (MDT)

baa99,

That's an interesting link but it is very difficult to get the CID information. If you are using an SD card reader you will get more information about the reader than you will get about the SD card. If you have a computer with a builtin SD slot (more than likely a laptop) it may give you the CID info. If the builtin reader is connected through a USB port, which some are, you will get information about the reader.

They don't make it easy to get that information. But what I really want to know is if the SD card is OK.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...