'made In Germany' Lies In The 'gutter' After Volkswagen Caught Cheating

Coss

My point is, that the same software that's the issue here, will be installed in all cars and shipped all over. I don't think they'd bother working up a special set of specs for NZ.

In USA, car makers do bother working up a special set of specs for California, where the environmental laws are more strict than the rest of the country. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same in other areas where the laws are different.

• Like 1

In USA, car makers do bother working up a special set of specs for California, where the environmental laws are more strict than the rest of the country. It wouldn't surprise me if they do the same in other areas where the laws are different.

I'm not so sure, a quick search of Mr Google reveals 77 VW dealers in California and about 20 in NZ, our market is smaller than you think.

If a car maker wants to sell cars in a country, the car specs would have to meet the laws of that country, whether the country is small or large. The size of the market would not matter. If the existing specs already meet the laws, then obviously they would not have to work up a special set of specs.

The EPA rules for Ca. are the most strict in any of the states here in America. My semi truck is not legal for that state any more.

I'm not going to spend 190,000 U.S. Dollars just to run out there with my trk. IT's a 1999 model.

I could spend about 5000.00 and install after market system to meet their rules, but it causes the motor to run hotter.

There are aftermarket software systems one can buy to bypass the computers here in the states if you know where to look

They just happened to get caught.