The Weather ... Should I Delay My Trip?

gawguy

I was scheduled to fly through Taipei tomorrow, but the airline sent an email cancelling flight and rescheduling it 15 hours later. That would only get me to Taipei, I still would need to get to BKK. Taiwan is about to be hit by a Super Typhoon and there will be no planes moving until the weather stabilizes and the airport is back in operation.

I am also looking at the weather in BKK and Pattaya and the forecast looks bad. Looks like heavy rains for the next week. I know that there has been lots of flooding in Pattaya. No point in being there if I'm stuck in my room.

Is the weather as bad as it looks from the reports and forecasts? Should I delay for a week?

Thanks,

GG

Sir ,

as I am currently tortured by the very same uncertainties I may offer you the wise answer of our Beloved Leader Mr. Khunsanuk who explains as follows :

" Hi,

"I expect an hour of torrential rain in the afternoon"

Yea, sounds about right. It has actually been raining quite a bit the last week or so, but with a few exceptions it is usually late afternoon to mid-evening for a few hours.

Sanuk! "

In case of heavy rain I highly recommend the terrace of the Landmark Hotel which allows smoking a cigar in peace , offers a variety of overaged freelancers for emergency cases and easy access to important tourist hotspots like Soi 4 to 7 .

For God's sake, man, don't delay over a bit of bad weather! Just go, you'll get to know the Taiwan airport - some very cute Chinese girls pitching perfume! - and you'll get to Pattaya, and the weather in Pattaya is fully as reliable as the electricity: the weather is wherever exactly the level that the bars set the A/C to... For those of us without the option at the moment, it's just too great a shame for your to miss the trip. It's not even a super typhoon anymore, anyway.

Gawguy: "What's the weather like over in LOS?"

YimSiam: "It's hot. Damn hot! Real hot! Hottest things is my shorts. I could cook things in it. A little crotch pot cooking."

Gawguy: "Well, can you tell me what it feels like?"

YimSiam: "Fool, it's hot! I told you again! Were you born on the sun? It's damn hot! I saw - It's so damn hot, I saw little guys, their orange robes burst into flames. It's that hot! Do you know what I'm talking about."

Gawguy: "What do you think it's going to be like tonight?

YimSiam: "It's gonna be hot and wet! That's nice if you're with a lady, but it ain't no good if you're in the jungle."

Gawguy: "Thank you, YimSiam."

• Like 1

Thank you YS, Mr Munch, et al. Prior to these pearls of wisdom coming in, my airline called me. I had been trying to get thru to them for 2 days with no luck. Turns out they had 800 passengers to reschedule. I also had my own look at weather reports and recent flood activity in Pattaya. Since I finally had an airline rep on the line after two days of trying, it was really my only chance to make a move. And since the airline initiated the cancellation they were happy to reschedule me any way I wanted with no charge, so I pushed back the whole trip by one week. I didn't shorten it. Here at home the weather is beautiful. I exercise a lot outside wherever I am so I can keep up my routine here for another week and maybe the rain over there will diminish. I walk at night in Patts so those evening rain storms that were mentioned don't suit me - I know them well. A common scenario: I stay inside most of the day, take an early evening nap and then I get already to go for my walk. As I am putting on the shoes, out the window I see a flash of lightening. I'm raring to go, but it's back to the sofa and TV... It sucks. If I can lessen that by a week, it's a very good thing.