Gold

gawguy

GLD -- which is a gold ETF -- would be my choice if I want to speculate in gold because it's easier to buy and sell

GLD is only paper- One cannot exchange it for metal unless you have many many millions and then it is difficult.

GLD is a tool of the Bullion Banks-Its PAPER get it?

Like II said most westerners generally do not understand gold

Talk to Chinese/Indians/even Germans

It's not even paper -- it's all electronic now. You sound like you are living in the past.

To me, gold is something to speculate in. There are brick and mortar places where I live that sell gold coins and bullions. But they are not places I would patronize.

Well refer to Allan Greenspan;s recent comments on gold.

Even though he blew all of the original bubbles he s recommending Gold. as a % of assets.

Its called insurance against currency fluctuations

You sound like you read too much MSM business propaganda.

Sleep well with your digital assets that can be controlled at will.

I will make no more comments about GOLD.

I recommended it on this site in 03-05 at 400$/ounce

-got the same dull comments.

I laughed when I sold 30% at 1850$ per ounce

Well refer to Allan Greenspan;s recent comments on gold.

Even though he blew all of the original bubbles he s recommending Gold. as a % of assets.

Its called insurance against currency fluctuations

You sound like you read too much MSM business propaganda.

Sleep well with your digital assets that can be controlled at will.

I will make no more comments about GOLD.

I recommended it on this site in 03-05 at 400$/ounce

-got the same dull comments.

I laughed when I sold 30% at 1850$ per ounce

Thanks for the insight. This is pretty much the track I'm on and I intend to proceed. I'm not buying gold as an investment, I'm in the category of "insurance against currency fluctuations" - or I'd prefer "hedge against collapse of stock market and currency."

One comment: You say you "sold 30% at 1850$ per ounce." Even though I'm not buying as an investment I don't want to be the buy who bought at $1850. The current price $1100 - $1200 seems reasonable by comparison I guess. So I'll buy some, wait and see, and buy some more.

Thanks,

GG

In my original post that started this topic I wrote, "I know it is not practical for someone (meaning foreigners) living in LOS to do so (invest in gold) because of restrictions, so this is not really a Thailand question."

Now I see that that probably is not true. I was told by a friend of mine here who owns gold and keeps it other countries that one cannot take gold out of LOS. He said it could be seized. So now I've gotten other feedback and I've looked on line and I see quite the opposite, as in this ThaiVisa post:

Posted 2010-11-25 16:30:52

from MoFA website: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/169.php

Gold -- Residents may hold and trade domestically in gold jewelery, gold

coins and gold bullion. The import and export of gold other than

jewelery has recently been deregulated.

I am baffled as to what my friend is concerned about. He's not available just now for me to ask him. He's a very knowledgeable person and has lived in LOS part time for 25 yrs or so. Maybe he hasn't gotten the new information.

• 2 years later...