Gold

gawguy

I am thinking of / planning to buy some gold in the form of coins and put it into a safe deposit box in the USA. I am only talking about the value of the metal, not coins with numismatic value.

I know it is not practical for someone living in LOS to do so because of restrictions, so this is not really a Thailand question. However we have sophisticated investors on this board with all kinds of experience around the world and in Asia where average people buy and keep a lot of gold. I know expats who keep gold in Singapore and HK.

I think stocks and mutual funds are total crap for the average person and all the investment advice and advisors and analysts are bull shit. Throwing darts at a list of stocks or funds gives as good a result as they put out.

So what do you think about investing in gold??

Thanks,

GG

Gold is near the bottom of a 4 year bear market- Its heavily manipulated by the big banks and the FED

given it is anti "fiat":AU may get down to 1,000$ S an ounce

Paper is paper gold is gold

Buy in several batches to spread your costs

Keep it out of the banks-

When this shit hits the fan gold will increase dramatically again

I like AU

There is a lot to say about gold.

The Chinese and Russians have been buying what the west is losing

Keep it out of the banks.

There is a lot to say about gold.

Do you mean - Do not put it in a safe deposit box at a US bank ?? That's interesting. What is the concern? What is the alternative?

"There is a lot to say about gold."

Yes indeed! I'm listening... I'm all ears.

Thanks,

GG

If you are confident about the gold price ( which I`m not ) there are other ways to benefit from a rise in price of the yellow metal.Buying gold related equities ( shares of gold miners ) represents a leveraged play on the price of gold ( ie. price movements are bigger than the underlying commodity ).Gold exchange traded funds ( ETFs or ETCs ) effectively track the gold spot price without having to hold and store the physical metal with all the associated problems.They can be bought and sold just like any other share.There is a level of tracking error due to the charges levied by the fund but this is usually quite small ( ie. less than 1 % ).ETC s that hold the physical metal are generally considered to be better than those which rely on rolling futures contracts.Gold tends to be a " fear " purchase ie. something people turn to if all other avenues look unpromising - something to hold if you think markets are on the verge of another melt-down.

Paper is paper gold is gold.

The mining shares are a compelling buy right now but

again there is COUNTER PARTY RISK.

We live in a world where paper is at risk-derivatives/credit default swaps/Fed Bullshit

l like AU because it is there.Most Farang do not "get" gold-

Time will tell.

*** When *** the banks close, your gold will be stuck there.

Get a decent home safe, have it well hidden and tell no one about it.

If SHTF, guns and ammo beat gold any day. Keep guns and ammo in a safe, not gold -- i.e., if you live in an area where it is legal to do so. GLD -- which is a gold ETF -- would be my choice if I want to speculate in gold because it's easier to buy and sell. If you take possession of the stuff, it's a PITA buying, storing, and selling.

GLD -- which is a gold ETF -- would be my choice if I want to speculate in gold because it's easier to buy and sell

GLD is only paper- One cannot exchange it for metal unless you have many many millions and then it is difficult.

GLD is a tool of the Bullion Banks-Its PAPER get it?

Like II said most westerners generally do not understand gold

Talk to Chinese/Indians/even Germans