What Have You Had Nicked (Stolen)

The_Munchmaster

Cavanami's recent thread about a safe with keypad reminded me about having $1,200 nicked from my room safe in the Regency Park Hotel a couple of years ago.

This in turn got me thinking about all the stuff I've had nicked during the 24 years I've worked overseas.

So here's a list of what I can remember.

Canon SLR Camera, lenses and bag - Jakarta 1990 (maid duped and gave it to someone who said they knew me)

US$ 1,500 - Bangkok 1992 (nicked from my office by maid, Police got most of it back though)

Canon Compact Camera – Bangkok 1993 (nicked from my bedroom, either by maid or an overnight guest)

Tag Heuer Watch - Bangkok 1994 (nicked from my bedroom, either by maid or an overnight guest)

Canon SLR Camera - Bangkok 1997 (nicked from my office)

HK Sevens Rugby Jersey - Bangkok 1997 (nicked from my office)

Canon SLR Camera - Rio de Janeiro 2002 (robbed at knifepoint in broad daylight)

£50 – Dubai 2012 (nicked from my apartment by agency maid)

US$ 1,200 - Bangkok 2013 (nicked from room safe at Regency Park Hotel)

Have I been unlucky or have others had some of their possessions pilfered over years of working / travelling in other countries?

"Sounds like you're a bit of a slow learner. With the exception of the camera in Rio you seem to have a habit of leaving valuables lying around."

Not really :nono: , the money stolen from the Regency Park was in a locked safe, and most of the other items were taken from cupboards or drawers in my own homes or offices.

Cautionary tales, and timely too, as I step to pack my suitcase for next week's misdemeanors in BKK. :applause:

I must've just been lucky. :hmmm: Sole loss was an ipod nicked out of my room in Nana Hotel a couple of years ago by a ya-baa-addled Soi 7 Beergarden takeaway freelancer on her way out (metaphorically as well as in a perambulatory fashion). :clown: It was a temperamental old banger with a smashed-up face anyway (the ipod, and the hooker too, come to think of it :doah:) and I got a much better upgraded model with the generous insurance money (an ipod), (and a tart too, no doubt, with the not unsubstantial amount of free cash left over once I'd claimed for the brand-new top-range non-existent camera, lap-top, and christ knows what else that I also reported as 'stolen' :shhh:)

Best be careful, eh lads? :hug: Of course the goalposts shift once all that booze kicks in. :drunk:

Travel light. Worked for Cliff. A pocket full of dreams, lads. :relieved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca800tcy-B8

jack :help:

For all the years and countries of travel, almost nothing has gone missing...unless alcohol was involved.

2004, Nokia phoned stolen while sitting at a pub in Bahrain enjoying an adult beverage and chatting with some Arab.

I had the phone on the bar and this guy nicked it. He left the pub and a few minutes later I noticed no phone.

Cheap 500 Baht, still had the SIM package so next day went to the phone shop, they made me a new SIM and

restored the $$$ I had on it.

2005, after enjoying a few too many Tsingtao beers the previous night, I left my XYZ camera in the waste bin.

Don't ask why...I was going to upgrade to a better camera, so no loss.

2006, after a few evenings at Washington Square, I noticed my Fuji camera was missing. No idea where that one went.

Don't ask...I was going to upgrade to a better camera...actual this was an OK camera...

It was a usual event for me, after a night out, to wake up in the morning in a complete panic and rush around to assure

I still had all my ATM and credit cards and an approximate amount of cash...

Nowt, absolutely nothing purloined from oneself or accommodation

I have misplaced many items over the years down to my own stupidity or lack of sobriety, haven't we all, but never been a victim of thievery maybe because I have fuck all worth nicking

Lucky or careful? I do sleep with one eye open