Thai Police Warns Tourists Off Thailand

radioman

Foreigners targeted as police raid Pattaya nightclubs

A foreign tourist was arrested and three illegal migrant workers detained when Pattaya police raided popular Walking Street nightspots as part of a pre-New Year’s immigration crackdown.

More than 100 officers from a special operations unit and Pattaya police station took part in the late-night sweep launched around 1am almost exclusively on the South Pattaya nightlife strip Tuesday morning.

The sweep targeting foreigners was extremely unusual, especially given the timing a week before Christmas. During previous raids, foreigners were ushered out while authorities checked and drug tested Thais and immigrant workers...

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/802924/foreigners-targeted-as-police-raid-pattaya-nightclubs

" Finding many tourists not carrying their passports as legally required. "

This rule is known by the boyfriend and the expats here, although he or no one else I know carries their passport with them. He believes his Thai driving licence with passport number and address is suffient, which he has in his wallet ....

Not so long ago, Prayuth made the statement that the police should NOT make a big deal of the farang

to carry their passport...guess that message didn't get passed on to Pattaya.

I carry a copy in my wallet and it has sufficed. I had renewed my passport so now the passport number on

the drivers license is that of the old passport.

For sure, end of the month, end of the year, the BiB will be out in force collecting...

I believe 2016 will be purge year, where more illegal farang will be caught, deported and banned from Thailand, for expired passports and long visa overstays. This might well be an inconvenience to the legal expats and tourists to show proof of passport and visa but is going to happen more next year.