Visa Extension Question

gawguy

My current 1 year O-A visa extension expires April 9, 2016. AnnualIy I go to Jomtien to renew. However my passport expires Feb 2, 2017. Will they give me another year extension, or do I have to get a new passport?

If I get a new passport now, my current visa extension and multiple entry stamp will be in my cancelled passport. I assume they are still good, yes or no?

Thanks,

GG

I'm no expert in Thai visas but general principles for most countries are: Passport must be valid at all times - you can get he Visa's "moved" into new passport.

But for the sake of 2~3 months, I'd just expect the next extension to go to Feb and then get a new extension from then on in in the new passport.

However, as experienced folk have found, depending on where you are and whose office you are in, your mileage may vary.

Kong?

My business visa was about to expire in a few weeks. My passport was under six months before it expired.

I went to the US Embassy and got a new passport. The Embassy issued me a letter requesting that Thai Immi

transfer my visa stamps to my new passport, which they did, no fuss, no mess.

The kicker for me, was that I will have to go back to Thai Immi this April and get a new business visa. For

whatever reason, even though they transferred the new visa (1 year) on to the new passport, they say I

must go back and do the same visa shit all over again in April...TIT

I came across this from Pattaya City Expats Club:Passport (original) withat least 6 months remaining validity. The maximum extension allowedcan be up to one year; but in no case beyond the expiration date of the passport.

My passport expires Feb 2, 2017 and that will not work for me as a yearly extension date. April 9 is perfect.

Question: To achieve that I would

1) Get a new passport before I go to LOS April 1.

2) Take my cancelled passport with my O-A Visa, current Visa extension until April 9 2016 and current multiple entry stamp.

3) Go to Jomtien and get my O-A Visa transferred into my new passport.

4) Get 1 yr extension and multiple entry stamps.

??? Will that work ???

Transferring things into the new passport doesn't normally require a request by the US Embassy BKK does it? As cavanami had to do ??

GG

I had to renew my passport early two years ago, since I'd fall short of the minimum time required for visa extension. Your old visa will still be valid when you get a new passport, but you have to go to Thai Immigration to have it transferred yourself. The embassy will give you the paperwork. Then you just renew your visa as usual.

p.s. That was at Chaengwattana. Jomtien immigration is much friendlier. That was the one thing I really regretted giving up when I decided to move back to Bangkok.

I think you might need to be a bit careful. Just an idea, But if you enter Thailand on a new passport with your visas in the old cancelled passport they may not be recognised. You might need to get the new passport in Thailand having entered on the old one, then transfer the visas. Then extend them.

I've done this transfer thing a few times with my UK passport but always been in Thailand to do it. Not sure how you will fare trying to enter on a new passport with the visas in the old one after it has been cancelled.

A friend got caught up on that a few years ago, since he'd left on his old passport and returned about 6 weeks later on a new one issued in the UK. Chaengwattana would not extend his old visa. Instead, they made made him go to Penang and come back in on a 90-day visa. At the end of that, they gave him the rest of his one year visa. Seemed like a senseless waste of money, but that's what Immigration insisted on. You never know what they will do.

So you are saying that I will have to go to the US Embassy in BKK to get some paperwork. I will not be able to have my Visa transferred in Jomtien without going to BKK first?

Very inconvenient and I haven't been t BKK in 10 yrs.

Can a Thai consulate in the USA do that when I get my new passport? I have a couple of months before I go to LOS.

Thanks,

GG

Can you contact the US Passport people and have them issue the letter?

With Thai Immi, no two offices ever does the same thing. Who can say what they

will do from one day to the next.

Like for my business visa, they tell you to have two copies of everything, then you get to Immi

and they take only one...WTF??? Any idea how many farkin' papers I have to sign? no,

their brain has been in idle mode for decades!!!

After they transferred the visa stamps to my new passport, I had to do a 90 day check in.

Could not do it online, had to go to the Immi office...WTF, in four weeks you cannot get you

computers updated?

When I went out of Thailand on the new passport, I had my old passport with me, just

in case but they never asked for it even when I returned.