Shooting The Messenger - Thainess

Coss

Went with the GF to see some friends up near the border in Mair Sot.They had a Burmese lady working for them as part time cook/maid.Paid her 2000 bt / month plus food.One day they came back from the market and found she had eaten about a dozen boiled eggs they were keeping for the restaurant.After that I think it was cash only,food not included :grinyes:

Wow are serious .... What mean friends you have, the farangs I know who employ maid/cook pay more than three times that. Along with free live in accomodation, trips and holidays paid for, and eat the same food and drink at the table as their employers ...

Those friends of Dexi will be paying market price, set by the vast majority of employers in that area, Thais. Who by your definition are Mean. Ergo there are many, many more Mean Thais than farangs.

Ignorant, you are.

One of my wife's friend and her husband has a small but thriving business near the family house.

They have hired people working for them.. One day I was hearing the workers talking and to me it wasn't Thai.

I ask her husband what language are they speaking? Not Thai, they were from Burma.. Why hire out of the country I ask.

Oh they work cheaper.. I knew not to ask if they had work permits or not....

So this is the Thai Greatness you speak so proudly about?

" So this is the Thai Greatness you speak so proudly about ? "

Not at all , but Coss has answered correctly they are being exploited within the system by mean people whoever they are.

" Those friends of Dexi will be paying market price, set by the vast majority of employers in that area, Thais "

•  

I missed the bit in Dexi's post where it mentioned the friends were farings.

In January 2013, Thailand raised its minimum wage nationwide to 300 baht a day. The new system, introduced by Yingluck to fulfill part of her 2011 election campaign, raising the minimum wage across the country to a single standard. Before then each province in Thailand set its own minimum wage according to the stage of local economic development or average living costs.

Supposedly, the minimum wage applies to every worker, regardless of age, sex, industry, or nationality. Employers convicted of failing to pay the minimum wage supposedly face six months in jail and/or a 100,000 baht fine. The reality is that a significant portion of migrant workers never receive the minimum wage. Although migrant workers are currently entitled to the minimum wage they are typically paid between 150-180 baht per day. Each month workers are subjected to pay deductions for accommodations, electricity, water, and food, typically plain rice. These total deductions may range from 200-2,500 THB per month / per person – or up to 100 THB per day. In many cases, this is in addition to the 500-1,000 baht per month being deducted from migrants who are still paying back their employer for the fronted fees for registration documents such as passport and work permit.

I know Thai people working in the fish factories here in Samut Sakhon and they most certainly get

at least 300 Baht per day, plus OT, plus one day off per week, plus holidays off, plus they can buy

fish products at a very reduced price. Plus end of the year bonus. One worker rents a small room

for 3000 Baht per month. She is saving up a nice chunk of money!

The workers average between 15,000 to 20,000 Baht per month.

No idea what the Burma people are paid but during the holidays I see them lined up buying gold

like crazy! so they must be getting decent wages.

My neighbor, farang, pays his maid 15,000 per month, plus free food and she is living there. Plus she

often goes on paid holidays with the family or even by herself. Plus bonus at the end of the year.

Much more then a fair wage!