Is Thailand Really That Bad ?

Almost daily, I notice some farang on media, forums or elsewhere continually knocking Thailand. Even some board members here, with some sort of relish, wanting to find any negative news they can find on Thailand.

This seems to have happened more in recent years, maybe due to these farang facing up to the fact, they are no longer able to exploit women cheaply anymore as they used too, enjoy cheap drinks and hotels etc .

I believe when they had the fun cheap in their youth they didn't care and loved Thailand as it was. Ok .. there was always stories of some buffalo being ripped of by a bar girl half his age. But now it is a hostile all out attack on Thailand and it's people at every opportunity.

I totally accept Thailand for some farang is not the perfection of their home in the West. It does, however make me wonder why on earth these farang would want to continue to live in this terrible place ...

quote name='บางà¸à¸­à¸à¸¡à¸´à¸ªà¸‹à¸µà¹ˆ'

Almost daily, I notice some farang on media, forums or elsewhere continually knocking Thailand. Even some board members here, with some sort of relish, wanting to find any negative news they can find on Thailand.

(for this board, because it's a board for Farangs, to talk about Thailand.. Wait for it... That is it's purpose )

This seems to have happened more in recent years, maybe due to these farang facing up to the fact, they are no longer able to exploit women cheaply anymore as they used too, enjoy cheap drinks and hotels etc .

(I hate to point out the obvious to you, but it seems that you are one to whom the obvious is elusive, the reason that we are more negatively critical is that Thailand is changing, in many's view, for the worse. Most of us here know and love Thailand and are discussing the negatives, with a degree of sadness. Thailand of 20 or 30 or more years ago was a lovely place and the people were nice, they've changed, it could be argued that Farang money did that.)

I believe when they had the fun cheap in their youth they didn't care and loved Thailand as it was. Ok .. there was always stories of some buffalo being ripped of by a bar girl half his age. But now it is a hostile all out attack on Thailand and it's people at every opportunity.

(I repeat my previous comment)

I totally accept Thailand for some farang is not the perfection of their home in the West. It does, however make me wonder why on earth these farang would want to continue to live in this terrible place ...

(because we have lived and loved in Thailand, some of us for many many years, and we are distressed to see Thailand heading down hill)

After seeing the traffic Friday night, I'm ready for the next financial crash. !997 saw maybe half the cars disappear from the streets, since many Thais either couldn't keep up their payments or just couldn't afford to fill the tank. Two hours getting home from Sukhumwit absolutely sucks, which is what it took! Yet people still insist on buying cars to join in the "fun". Got news for them ... a car is NOT a staus symbol anymore. (Maybe it was when my great grandparents bought their first one around 1916, but certainly not in 2015.)

p.s. If you live near the BTS or MTS, you're fine. They are almost the only thing that moves these days. It was so packed Friday night that not even motorcycles could make their way through. I'm on the edge of the city, and a car is needed to get around. One isn't if you live in the inner city.

There, I just bashed the city, and I first moved down to the Big Durian in 1978. Am I allowed to? :)

• Like 1

I get the feeling that some people are frustrated that some things which should really improve haven't, and some have in fact got a lot worse. I also get the feeling that the investigation in to the murder of the two Brits on Ko Tao and the outcome was a catalyst for a lot of the anger being shown by foreigners.

For me, personally, I lived in Sukhumvit soi 16 for years and I used to walk through the Asoke intersection every day and I used to get stopped by police all the time and hassled - and saw the same happening to many others. That really put a downer on things for me and while there was no single reason that caused me to eventually say, "I've had enough, I am out of here", there were a lot of contributing factors and this sort of thing and the feeling of general unease I had simply because I was a foreigner was amongst them.

• Like 1

For me, personally, I lived in Sukhumvit soi 16 for years and I used to walk through the Asoke intersection every day and I used to get stopped by police all the time and hassled - and saw the same happening to many others. That really put a downer on things for me and while there was no single reason that caused me to eventually say, "I've had enough, I am out of here", there were a lot of contributing factors and this sort of thing and the feeling of general unease I had simply because I was a foreigner was amongst them.

I remember you writing about that. I've always lived outside the tourist areas. Never heard of any problems except in the Sukhumwit-Asoke-Petchburi triangle. I presume the police must figure if you can afford to live there, you're probably worth shaking down. Anywhere else, you must be some poor archan and not worth bothering with. Poverty does have some advantages.

As to frustration, I find that Thais generally agree with my take on Thai politics. I view politics here as going in a circle, not a straight line. Dictatorship reluctantly gives way to democracy, which eventually collapses and is followed by a return to some sort of dictatorship. This has been the pattern ever since "democracy" was begun in Thailand in 1932 ... by a military coup. It doesn't help any that the elected governments also seem to think they have a right to fill their own pockets at the public's expense.

• Like 1

As to frustration, I find that Thais generally agree with my take on Thai politics. I view politics here as going in a circle, not a straight line. Dictatorship reluctantly gives way to democracy, which eventually collapses and is followed by a return to some sort of dictatorship. This has been the pattern ever since "democracy" was begun in Thailand in 1932 ... by a military coup. It doesn't help any that the elected governments also seem to think they have a right to fill their own pockets at the public's expense.

Nor dos it help much I suspect that in large part even the elected civilian governments are made up of long serving high ranking military types. Diversification is much needed away from this rather blinkered approach.