Chuwit, 43 Others Jailed Two Years For Damaging Bars

Flashermac

The Supreme Court Thursday sentenced former MP Chuwit Kamolvisit and 43 others to two years in jail for damaging bars on Soi Sukhumvit 10 in 2003.

The Supreme Court upheld the conviction against Chuwit and 43 men he hired to raid and destroy the bars but the highest court reduced the jail term from five to two years.

The court reasoned that Chuwit had paid compensation to the bar owners so the jail term was commuted though they were ordered to serve the sentence, which was not suspended.

Chuwit, the leader of Rak Prathet Thai Party, owned the Sukhumwit Silver Star when the raid took place. He sent his workers to destroy the bars on Sukhumvit Soi 10 at 4am on January 25 2003.

The men, backed up by bulldozers, tore down some 60 bars on the 10-rai plot. Chuwit was hired to tear down the bar by the developer of the plot, the court was told.

Initially, public prosecutors and the owners of the bars filed a lawsuit against Chuwit and 129 other men.

The Criminal Court acquitted the defendants but the Appeals Court sentenced Chuwit and 65 others to five years in jail.

Chuwit and 43 others appealed against the ruling and the Supreme Court upheld the conviction but reduced the jail term.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Chuwit-43-others-jailed-two-years-for-damaging-bar-30277951.html

Jitagawn

I was just across Sukhumvit from you at the time in an apartment on Soi 13 just behind the Ambassador hotel, my evening routine was meet the guys in "The Living Room" then either Clinton Plaza or cross over to Soi 10 complex.

Many of the Bar Owners at Soi 10 had relocated from Soi Zero aka Buckskin Joes if memory serves me right it was only DETS 5 who moved to Soi 8 and still thriving to this dayAt around the same time there was the "Ambassador Fire" all those premises occupied by start up internet cafes, travel agents, Indian Tailors and tin pot jewellers mysteriously all burned down overnight to free up a nice plot of prime real estate in the heart of Sukhumvit.

Damaged? Here's a photo ...

post-98-0-56156800-1453989767_thumb.jpg

And it wasn't just bars. There were gift shops, a travel agency, a laundromat, an internet cafe, a gift shop, tattoo parlor and who knows what else.

p.s. I do like it better as a park though.

The Internet cafe was a nice one, right on Soi 10 as I recall. He had just upgraded his equipment when this happened.