Tourist Killed By Elephant

baa99

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Scottish-tourist-killed-by-elephant-30278318.html

A foreign tourist was killed and two others were injured yesterday after a rutting elephant went berserk and then ran off into a crowd in Surat Thani’s Koh Samui district.

Police rushed to a local safari park where they found the body of a 36-year-old Scottish man at the scene, while two injured persons had already been sent to the hospital.

A police investigation initially found that a Myanmar mahout leading the male elephant which had three tourists on its back. After walking for about 15 minutes, the elephant suddenly shook them off, stomped on them and fatally gored the male tourist while also wounding his 16-year-old daughter and the mahout.

This incident prompted provincial governor Wongsiri Phromchana to have officials get stricter on elephants registered for tourism on this famous resort island.

Wongsiri said there were five elephant camps on Samui but the Sarat Thani Livestock Office and the Koh Samui District Office had different figures for the total number of elephants. The former cited 63 while the latter cited 38, hence officials would investigate further on the differences. He also said that the related agencies would take care of the deceased and the injured tourists and also investigate how this happened as to prevent any re-occurrence.

Anyone who tries to work a male elephant in musth should be arrested and charged. Yet every time something like this happens, it is when that is exactly what was being done!

Mental symptoms of the musth are:

• autistic behaviour
  • aggressive outbursts when the bull feels disturbed
  • does not tolerate any noise and sudden movements
  • does in everyday contact hardly react to familiar commands of the keeper
  • tries to attack even familiar elephants and humans

http://www.upali.ch/musth_en.html

Asked about Thai website reports that the elephant was being teased with a banana - reports which Eilidh has refuted on social media - Catherine said: "I've seen some report on a local newspaper but I don't know if it's true or not true. All I know is what I've been told from Eilidh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/12134716/British-tourist-killed-by-elephant-on-Ko-Samui-island-Thailand.html

I wouldn't be surprised. An elephant in musth killed and injured some tourists at Non Nooch Village in Pattaya a few years ago. That time some Chinese tourists were seen teasing the elephant with bananas. The bull elephant finally had enough and charged into the crowd.

But as I said, why the hell would they be working an elephant known to be in that condition? It's like driving a bus without brakes on the highway and then acting surprised when it runs into something.