9 February 1991

Mekong

Nah, I'm still a newbie. Arrived at the beginning of March 1973. The Thai population was 40 million, compared to 70 million now.

p.s. That additional 30 million all own and drive cars in Bangkok. :(

You've been very busy increasing the Thai population! :tuxedo:

So welcome to the club - I'm still a 'newbie', despite 10 years. Actually I've been composing a compilation of interesting fridge ditties, those long nights with me and just the fridge - and when the compressor kicks in, just saying... in case you're interested...

Anyhow, stop sounding so mopey faced - sounds like you've had your fun, more than your fair share it seems. It might sound preposterous, but I admire you long timers, your heyday was brilliant, want to emulate it, but with a twist for the new millennium - a roll with the punches type conviviality - not unlike the intro to the UFC fights, a kind of bon viveur mentality with the exception of actually saying - I'm good - I hope they kick the shit out of each other.

Well I certainly wish you well. We're all mopey faced with this resource slump - me included. Unfortunately my predictions are coming true - those motherfucking investors are running away & we've got no power to catch them. Brazil is in recession - the plague has extended to Europe, with Russia suffering as well. The currency war is escalating - a game were noone will decisively win - even the US is panicking about the rising Dollar.

It's inevitable that you will have to hand it all over to my generation - death conveniently takes care of that - and what better hands?

Well if I've got anything to do with it - I'll spend the rest of my career cleaning up your mess. Thanks for that. Most of all thanks for your whoring tips - but you never mentioned - well nevermind. I've had my fun too, and all too soon there will be some young prat saying = you fucked it all up. Just life. And if this didn't improve your mood - apologies for that.

Anyhow - cheer up!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

"Flag Drop on a Taxi was still 35 Baht back then, how those guys make a living I will never know."

Distance! That 35 baht took you a helluva lot farther then. I could go home by taxi in the late '80s for about 45 to 50 baht. Now it costs me about 140 baht to go the same distance. (Still cheap though.)

• 2 weeks later...

That probably depends a bit on if you will fully retire.

I'm busy working away mostly these days but it's pretty much a done deal right now that I'll be back to stay in the fullness of time. Meantime I'm doing 10 day typically stays every 7 or 8 weeks. This weekend just a short 3 day visit. It's no problem to leave, I know I'll be back.

And where else indeed? For sure Thailand is not perfect, far from it but I see it as a balance. I can manage the downsides, mostly, and the upsides are great for me.

People better do an update on their dream countries occasionally , Bali for example has been the symbol for a dream island for me although I have never been there . A friend of of mine is currently there and it seems to be nothing but a desaster with hords of Chinese all over the place and touts pestering people whereever they go .

No longer a resident but I have over 3000 days on the ground. Now visits seem harder as the reality of leaving is there from the moment you arrive.

Not sure whether I will ever fully retire there, but if not, then where ?

Good question indeed.

If in Asia and not LOS, then Laos or even Vietnam

If not Asia -why not- Spain or Portugal or even Florida......

BB