Signatures

Mekong

Come on Guys

I mustn't be the only person having difficulty in replicating how I signed my name over 8 years ago, not as if I have put pen to paper in anger this millennium.

In professional life I use an encrypted digital signature for important electronically transmitted documents, the 250 plus per day which cross my desk in paper form just get some sort of scribble on them which is a loose representation of my initials, the fact it looks like a drunk spider crawling out of an ink well is bye the bye, no one else can do my drunk spider impression.

To further complicate matters I am now being asked to replicate what I was signing like ten years back, so sorry between then and now I did suffer a heart seizure which now restricts the motor neurone ability of my right hand, hey I can still write, it wasn't that bad but my handwriting and with it signature has changed.

I used to scoff at certain countries where the official forms had a space for signature or an alternative for Thumb Print, they were so correct, with the current advances in biometrics a thumb print scan would be easier to validate and much more secure than the old "Pen and Paper" method.

OK Rant over for today

Kong

Everyone's writing changes with time, and unless I concentrate it mine is much sloppier than it used to be. I should hope allowances would be made for that. :p

p.s. Some school districts in the USA have all but abandoned cursive writing. A friend who retired from teacher there a few years ago told me he had to print on the board for his secondary school students! Imagine what their signature must look like.

Flash

My point exactly, writing can change / deteriorate slowly with age / consumption, or change drastically due to health issues which have caused it to alter, the number of times I have wanted to stuff the pen up their collective jackasses and ask how the hell a person whose primary font is Sanskrit can determine if Romanic is correct or incorrect, I spit feathers so much it as if I have just tried to digest unpacked poultry.

I wasn't jesting when I referred to not so ancient MENA (Middle East North Africa) nations accepting a thumb print for identification purposes, my last Driving Licence in UAE is validated by my thumb print. only five points of contact are required for positive ID. 10 years ago now in ESB they were using Biometric recognition for access to living quarters of certain residences, people tend to lose cards but on rare occasions happen to lose a thumb.

If I wasn't bitching about this I would have another bug to bare, need to complain about something, it is the British Way Chap, damn natives will never be told, self derogatory sarcasm one has to live up the stereotype now and again, but I honestly think with todays advances in computing / software that biometric recognition should be considered over a PIN / Password / Signature, I use print recognition for access to my control systems, it is not difficult to implement, can't be if I did it. OK sarcasm again,

Sorry in the Digital age in which we now all live and operate in pen and paper are consigned to history much like a slate and chisel once were. plus if somebody ever hands me a pen m first thought is "This is Going up your ASS Neanderthal" I really am a mellow person unless someone shoves a pen in my hand and asks me to use it in the way it was intended, my intentions differ from the initial concept.

PTBM

You understand my frustration from personal experiences, been there, done that and insulted every man and his dog in the meantime.

Being the pedant which I am, pedantism is a right, I did some research on "Signature" It does not mean handwritten but just any sign or symbol which identifies oneself, personally I would go for thumb print or an initialed chop stamp but there is nothing under law stopping me or you to have a scan of ones backside as ID recognition, even though I may be rather embarrassed dropping my kecks and planting my butt onto the CC scanner in TOPS, but (no pun intended) it is totally legit.

Furthermore the only person who is allowed to validate a signature is the signaturee, i.e. did I scribble this shite, an asshole impression makes more sense unless ones kink is to be violated by Ladyboys the previous evening then just claim signing in Upper Case.

I had my Passport, Work Permit and Temporary Residence Card with me, yes I still look handsome on all documents, even had a copy of my chanoot, I don't do anger a very mellow laid back guy, UNTIL PISSED OFF, one of those "I really want to slap this guy but he is only doing his job" moments.

Same as you did, renew bank book, idiots I put money into the account and use it as a clearing one, next was bank 2, Now Mrs Kong knows when my tolerance has been stretched, "Go and have a Smoke" bank 2 was perfect, "Oh Mr Kong, we have all details on our system here is your new book" el perfecto as it should be.

Biometric ID is how it should be, if for anything just to stop me losing it, my hand may not work as it did previous but as far as I know nobody has chopped my thumb off, I can use my smart device as a payment method based on biometrics, why are financial institutions so last millennium ?

I decided not to post a scan of my ring piece could lead to ID theft.

I feel your pain. Remember when I had dislocated a finger and on another occasion fractured my elbow, nothing looked like what it was supposed to be.

As an aside re MENA countries using a thumbprint as ID, I have heard that in India the ATMs also have a (heat?) sensor to ensure the thumb is still alive...

Yes, passport is biometric so I get in and out using the fast lane in my country of origin..

The signature I had at my Farangland bank dates back to the mid '80s. When I was in there recently they asked me for a new sample and the new and the old bore no resemblance whatsoever. That said, you hardly sign for anything in banks here these days - everything seems to be electronic, even within the branches.