Paying Tax In Thailand

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

in process of finetuning my forthcoming visit to the Kingdom next week I spoke today to one of my latest flames , the extrememly lovely Pam from Lao . Main issues were confirming our mutual , never ending eternal pure love and further a financial transaction but not what you think . The following crossed my mind :

Khun Pam has been married to a local gentleman ( Thai man no good and so forth ) and has since then been living in Siam based on heaven knows what type of visa . And been working in one and the same massage shop all the time . The idea of Madame sitting at home filing a tax declaration belongs to the things which although trying hard I can simply not put into any sort of visualization . The same applies to farm rice operator Khun Somkiat and virtually almost the rest of all Thais I know of unless working within a reasonably organised company .

The question finally is : do these people pay anything that looks like taxes ? I simply cannot believe a much sought after ladyboy from Nana Plaza would ever declare his/her income to anybody .

Requesting enlightenment from the learned bretheren .

All the info here...and no, the majority of Thais do not pay any tax...

http://www.rd.go.th/...ish/6045.0.html

Tax rates of the Personal Income Tax

Taxable Income

(baht) Tax Rate

(%) 0-150,000 Exempt

more than 150,000 but less than 300,000 5 %

more than 300,000 but less than 500,000 10%

more than 500,000 but less than 750,000 15%

more than 750,000 but less than 1,000,000 20%

more than 1,000,000 but less than 2,000,000 25%

more than 2,000,000 but less than 4,000,000 30%

Over 4,000,000 35%

Here in Samut Sakhon, fishing and fish processing is a large industry.

Lots of paid overtime in the processing factories. Estimated 300,000 Burma workers employed here.

The factories automatically take the taxes out of ones' pay check.

How many small businesses in Thailand? the Ma & Pa shops, the handy men, the small construction companies?

These do not pay any taxes.

The 150,000 p/a tax exempt is on top off Personal Allowance, considering minimum allowance is 30,000 for a single person that brings it up to 180,000 p/a or 15,000 per month.

Thailand "Average Wage" currently stands at 13,375 THB/Month http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/wages

Also the minimum wage in Thailand is 300 THB/Day or 7,500 THB/Month i.e 56% of the average wage

Interestingly enough I compared these figures with the UK where the minimum wage is around 52% of the average wage and then did a hypothetical calculation of percentage of tax payers whom earn more than average salary, It worked out at about 15% (5 Million out of 33 Million) So if UK tax levies were on par with Thailand only 15% would actually be paying taxes, which is in line with the figure VK mentioned.

It is not that Thais are avoiding taxes, it is just so many of them just don't earn enough to incur PIT liabilities

Gentlemen ,

I shall use considerable time next week to educate Lao-Pam about her duties as a Thai taxpayer because I suspect serious deficits in executing aforementioned law . Thank you for your input . Earnings at this moment are low anyway I have been told due to the majority of customers being Chinese asking for a footmassage , complaining all the time and no tip whatsoever . The industry needs the proper falang tourist asking for an oil massage and a decent handjob . Thai tourism officials should be made aware of this and accordingly even run a wordwide campaign Exotic Siam : Culture , beaches , blowjobs to your heart´s content.

Just a thought

Hi,

As mentioned a very large portion of the country earns less than the minimum requirement for paying taxes. Those on the other side of the spectrum are those who make a lot of money, also don't pay taxes as they tend to be able to find enough loopholes.

The middle class pays the lion share of income tax in Thailand.

Sanuk!