Passports Not Carried = Arrest

Coss

... As the police told us way back then, "WE DON'T CARE what the law says. WE SAY ...!"

That happens more often than you'd think, even in the West, when the front line people who are responsible for enforcing the laws do not totally agree with the law as written or are corrupt. What you got to do when this happens is complain to higher ups until you get it right.

Even if you are only a tourist on a 2 week holiday, you should complain if you come across unacceptable behavior by Officials. I'm willing to bet you that you can complain online easily. I have never been treated unfairly by Officials in LOS, however; and I have been here many times in the last 15 yrs or so.

Yeah, the short holiday makers should definitely complain - they probably don't even end up taking the brunt of these events, I'd wager. It's the long-stayers, the afraid-to-complainers who might not want to be looked at too closely, those are the ones I'd think would be ripe for targeting - either get the fines, or better yet, get the off-book cash payments from people who know very well that a little problem can turn into a big one, particularly if you're not driven-snow, Japanese-virgin white and clean - or have longer term plans in the kingdom.

I can certainly also say that I have never been treated in a negative way by authorities in Thailand, and if I've ever been treated unfairly, it has meant that my preferential treatment was patently unfair to many others who would doubtless not have been treated as nicely! My interactions with police, immigration - and there have been a few over the years - have been in the end all smiles and mai pen rai and a measure of respect that I hardly deserve...