Ais And The Lost 900Mhz

yfs

It seems I need to transfer my old sim card in my good 'ole Motorola flip phone and go 4g with AIS (if I want to keep my number).

So where in Bangkok does AIS have offices in which to do so? Are they still in the Glass House ?

Are Telewiz outlets an option?

Tnx.

Any outlet should be able to do this for you. However, if I remember correctly, there was a cut-off date for you to be able to keep your old number and I think it has passed.

I had to switch to DTAC (who still have the 900Mhz frequency) as I needed it in my GPS tracker. The GPS service provider did the card change - it was registered as their card, after all.

(Yes, I do have GPS tracking capability for my personal vehicle)

A friend was here from London last month. When he called, it surprised me ... since his name didn't come up on my phone. He told me he'd lost his old number because he wasn't here to register it last year. i don't know what service he used, but I expect they're all the same. Good luck on that.

V_K, I'm thinking about getting GPS for my car. Any advice? It has the equipment (I think), since I bought the car used. I never bothered with GPS while I lived in Chonburi, but I could definitely use it Bangkok. I've been completely lost here on occasion, when I had to drive to an unfamiliar part of the city. :(

Flash, if you're using GPS for navigation, get an offline GPS program for your phone instead.

I'm using Sygic because after the initial purchase, all map updates are free for life (unlike most of the others where you pay an annual subscription). I toyed with the idea of getting a dedicated GPS in the car, but even the dealership admitted that renewal fees are quite expensive.

I use the phone with a windshield mount and a charger plugged into the lighter socket. The advantage is that you can use it anywhere as it is on your phone.

Or if you have a data plan Google Maps has a GPS routing function which works quite well.

The GPS in the car is a tracker in case the car gets stolen; I can also locate the car, remotely start and stop the engine, and am informed if any door is opened or the car started. Not cheap but compared to losing the car and going through a lot of hassle - police, insurance and whatnot - I have a bit more peace of mind.

A word of warning. All GPS programs and navigators are not infallible. If you lose the signal in a tunnel it can take a while to re-orient itself so always plan ahead to be safe. Use it as a backup. Tall buildings in Bangkok also create multiple reflections and can confuse the navigator. Metallic window tinting will also reduce the signal strength so be warned.

What Kwai said

I've been using GPS in LOS and Laos for a long time.

1 - I had a dedicated handheld Garmin GPS and did a ton of research to get maps for LOS and Laos, as there were none back then.

2 - I found programmes like Kwai did, Sygic is one, for my smart phone, these are good because you don't need to download maps on the fly through expensive phone data plans.

The best solution is now the smart phone, or a small tablet on yer dashboard.

It's a waste of time and money having a dedicated GPS when a phone will do the same thing, and, make phone calls.

New cars are starting to come with Apple Carplay, in which you just slot in yer iPhone and the whole car immerses you in the Apple 'Experience'. But it means you can talk to people without using the phone and use Siri to organise your life and etc etc etc

The Nav programs can overheat a phone. If you have a few GB on your phone plan, use an online app like WAZE or Google Maps. They provide traffic info to reroute you around trouble spots. OsmAnd uses offline maps and has low power option that turns off the display when far from a turn.

I bought my Garmin in the USA and then brought it to Thailand about 10 years ago. The map updates are very

expensive, so I have never updated. So far it is doing OK without the updates.

A few years ago during the floods, many roads closed but the Garmin would recalculate and get me to where I

needed to go.

Haven't had a need to try the phone GPS but I'm sure I will...