Hi All, I'm A Thai Student Ka

PhDstudent

Wow @Flashermac You really know a lot about universities in Thailand. Are you former or current teaching staff here? By the way, now Chula is ranked 250 it used to be under 200 some years ago. But, you know, in order to do well on the list, besides the university reputation, it has to have good number of foreign students, foreign teaching staff, and it is obvious that Chula lacks those aspects.

Retired university lecturer, taught for years at Silpakorn and later Thammasat. I also taught the international students a few times, mostly from Singapore or Thais from the USA, but a few Koreans. I was offered a job once at Chula, but I chose not to go. Thammasat is more relaxed - teach your classes and stay for your required office hours, then go home. Chula wants you to sit around all day even if you have nothing to do. If I didn't have classes on a day, I didn't have to go to the university.

• Like 1

For clarification, I don't really work with any USA/UK/AUL native speaker types, just a minority of senior managers come from that background. So everyone is ESL ('ceptin' myself), but when thinking of work in Thailand there's basically the Thais (whose English is good, but overall not as good as the 'internationals' like Arabs, Pakistanis, Burmese - many Assumption) that work alongside the Thais. So the comparisons are different than, say, Chula vs University of Wisconsin, or Wisconsin nurses vs. Filipino nurses. Much of the work is legal and analytical, requires a skeptical and curious approach - this is where I'm afraid Thainess serves least-well. Love working with many Thai colleagues - but this critical thinking and argumentative element is weak, even at the best schools.

Note: a basic grasp of the language (if you're working in a local or international environment where the work is done in English) is crucial in healthcare or else you're totally fucked. If someone can't communicate and understand basic points - they need to go, and that is not negotiable.

But once you have that - a high vocabulary doesn't always translate into impressive or worthwhile accomplishments -- it can often be the opposite (the person is a more skilled bullshitter). Like anything else in life... it depends. Greater fluency will give you an advantage in selling yourself and getting promotions, but doesn't necessarily make you the best.

And on the flip side, to argue in favor of eloquence -- one of my favorite people is a billion times more eloquent than myself (Christopher Hitchens, RIP) and I admire his combative style of discourse and ability to slice through erroneous presumptions (like 'intelligent design') as if a ginsu going through soft cheese.

alright sorry back to the OP, all you lazy whiny retiree geezers go fill out the fucking forms. :)

• Like 1

Yo, dude. Welcome back. :drinking:

p.s. The highest writing class for English majors at Thammasat is argumentative writing. The highest speaking class is public speaking, including making logical arguments. Other than that, I don't know of any other course that even touches the subject. (I've actually seen students rehearsing their "debates" for lower speaking classes. :p )

• 1 year later...

Dear all Thai360.com members,

I am please to inform you that now I have finished my Ph.D. study. My Ph.D. dissertation entitled "International Retirement Migration of Westerners to Thailand: Decision-making Process, Wellbeing, Assimilation, and Impacts on Destination" will be available on Chulalongkorn University database by September 2017.

However, I also upload the file on _27_July_2017_ice_Ethesis_with_Chula_Watermark.pdf'>http://www.mediafire.com/file/ed89il05b ... ermark.pdf

I would like to thank all kind participants for making this study possible. Any mistakes are solely my own.

Best regards,

Kanokwan Tangchitnusorn (ice)

email: kanokwan.tang@student.chula.ac.th

• Like 2

And whilst I've only skimmed the file, it looks fascinating.

I won't comment on any specific, until I've read the whole thing.

I will say that it looks like a well made and promising source of factual information.

Cheers

Coss