A 40-Degree Summer Of Suffering Coming After Songkran

Flashermac

By Sasiwan Mokkhasen

Staff Reporter

BANGKOK — Tuesday was definitely a hot one. Now, instead of 33C, imagine the mercury shooting up to 40C.

While in a month the nation will prepare to get weird and wet during the annual Songkran Festival, the Thai Meteorological Department has warned the summer heat may break into the frying forties.

Thailand officially entered summer this past Wednesday, and on Monday, Songkran Aksorn of the Meteorological Department said the heat may rise to 40C by late April.

For the rest of March, temperatures are expected to remain around 36C to 38C in the afternoons and 26C to 27C at night.

Around mid-April, however, highs are expected to peak between 40C to 44C. Summer is expected to last until mid-May.

Scientists found 2015 was the hottest year ever recorded in cities around the world. Bangkok averaged 29.6C, 1.6C higher than normal, according to the data from Accuweather.

http://www.khaosoden...ate=06&section=

p.s. Translated into English, 40C is 104F. :p

Time for a government edict to bring the weather down a bit - or failing that, would it be possible to identify a couple of Burmese guys as responsible for the higher temps? No matter what, it must be clear to quality Chinese tourists that everything is fine - and that if they can't stand the heat or humidity, there are ALWAYS a/c malls to visit.

It really is the humidity, isn't it? 33 up to 40 is really not that bad in the dry Middle East, but it just kills you in Asia - at least that's my memory. Embarrassing that I'm still vaguely lost between my native F and the dominant C in the world...

• Like 2

When I was a student, we learned to use Centigrade. Then apparently someone came along and renamed it after a Roman saint or something.

I can use it, but I don't like it, since the spread between the degrees is too small. With Fahrenheit, 95 degrees is obviously a lot hotter than 80 degrees. With Celsius, 35 degrees doesn't seem all that much warmer than 27.

Hi,

"It really is the humidity, isn't it?"

Definitely! It seems to be at its worst late afternoon (4-5pm), but it is already so bad that a 5min walk from subway to office means that I get in sweating :(

And that is at 36C or so. Gonna be really fun when it his 40C+ :(

Sanuk!

The good thing about using centigrade is that 0 is freezing point and 100 degrees is boiling point ( of water ) simple and easy.If the forecast says tonite will be -10 then you know what that means - whats that in Fahrenheit - no idea.Changing the subject somewhat ,spent some time at the ( now ex ) GFs place in Khon Kaen a few years ago,one of those plces with a corrugated metal roof.Mid afternoon the guage read 45 * C :help: .She had a dream of going to live in northern europe - we went to Pizza Hut and she was absolutely frozen " Oh its so cold in here " she grumbled :shakehead ,so I said " How will you manage through the winter in Europe " - no reply.