What If I Cannot Get An Extension Of Stay ?

gawguy

I had a hopeful sign yesterday that my visa extension issue might be resolved, but I'm still not sure. I see that visa runs are no longer allowed. I assume that is still true.

What if I hit the worst case scenario? My visa extension runs out on 9 April and I will need to do something by that time and there will be a lot to do between now and then. What can I do? I have to figure this out quick. What I really want is to go to a nearby country and get a visa for Thailand. A country that has visa on arrival or doesn't require visa for US citizens.

If I leave the country for a week or so can I get back in for 30 days? I bet not. It seems that I remember going to Vietnam a few years ago and I think I had to stay for 15 days to get back into TLand for 30 days. Does that sound right?

So...

Where is the best place for an American to get a proper visa for Thailand in SE Asia?? Phenom Pen? Saigon? Manila? Other?

I've never been to the Phillipines so that would be interesting, but I don't want to stay in Manila very long.

What would you do if you were in my position??

I will do some searches too, but the time is short. If I can hear some definitive answers it would be most helpful.

This is from The Nation in 2014 after the current government took over:

"From August 13, 2014 people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.

Those on a visa run who are allowed back in will find an "O-I" (Out-In) mark next to their latest stamp marking entry. From August 13, nobody with an O-I sign on their passport will be allowed to re-enter Thailand if they cannot produce a proper visa."

Is this all in effect at this time?

Thanks...Gaw Guy

I want to stay until June 20..that is when I have booked my flight back to US. So could I go to a nearby country and get a Single Entry Tourist Visa (60 days plus 30 extension)?? That would work for me and it would only take a couple of days according to: http://www.travelfish.org/visas/thailand

Single Entry Tourist Visa

If the above options aren't going to work for you, then you need to get a Thai tourist visa. The traditional type of tourist visa is valid for 60 days and can be extended for a further 30 days once you are in-country, giving you a 90-day stay all up. It costs around US$30 and is a single-entry visa. It's valid from date of entry, so the 60-day clock starts ticking on the day you enter Thailand. The visa becomes void if you do not enter Thailand within 90 days from the date of issue.

Single-entry tourist visas can be applied for at virtually any Thai embassy or consulate worldwide; options within Southeast Asia include: Vientiane, Savannakhet, Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Kelantan, Singapore, Phnom Penh, Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi, Yangon, Jakarta, Denpasar (Bali), Manila and Cebu City. It generally takes two business days to apply for and receive a single-entry tourist visa.

I appreciate the input about Penang. It's a place I should go. But there's a lot of places I should go. After I decided against it because of the possibility the air could be bad, I thought about Singapore which is rated one of the least polluted countries. Just a two hour flight. Almost everyone speaks some English. Looks like you can get a decent room for about 50 USD a night.

Georgetown is a little city in northern Malaysia. Many of the smaller hotels have a "friend" at the Thai consulate who can get you a visa without you even going there. (They charge a few hundred baht for the service.) I went there for a 90 day visa prior to getting a retirement visa. Turned out I arrived on a Malaysian holiday, and I would have been screwed since I couldn't change my Air Asia flight back. An Indian who does something at the consulate (grounds keeper maybe) volunteered that he could arrange it for me. I agreed and he did. I actually got a visa stamped on a day the consulate was officially closed! A colleague told me he once got his visa on a weekend, never having to go to the consulate himself.

Georgetown is also fantastic if you like Indian food. There is a small nightlife, short time style. It's fairly obvious. (Suspicious looking "hotels" with lots of Chinese girls sitting in the lobby.) Georgetown has sort of a British colonial to it even today. Fun for a couple of days. I've been there 5 or 6 times, the first visit in 1974. It's grown a lot since then, but is still easy to get around in.

Penang is the only Malaysian province with an non-Malay non-Muslim majority, and that pisses off the Malaysian Islamists. :)

Cheap flight on Air Asia. I've always stayed at an old style hotel for under 1,000 baht a night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QPCPCaRNdM&nohtml5=False