Thai Immigration Asks Foreigners For Bank Accounts, Social Media, Hangouts

Flashermac

I'd like to see a collection of my back-of-arrivals-card entries over the years - don't think I've ever been the same guy from the same place making the same money twice... They never seemed to bother with those, but I've had a few times where people were sent back from the imm desk to go check some boxes on the back of the card. Guess there were quotas in place that week.

Wonder what the Immigration folks would come up with as a profile for the average farang who identifies Thai360 as one of his frequent online hangouts...

Latest word is from a friend who just went for his retirement visa at Nonthaburi. He took his financial statement of income from the US embassy as usual, but Immigration said it wasn't enough. He was ordered to go to Jaengwattana, where he had to pay for another financial statement from the Thais. He said it was 400 baht if he wanted it that day, or 200 baht if he'd come back for it the next day.

WTF? Are the various Immigration offices making up their own rules as they go? I wonder if the US embassy has heard anything about this? LOS ... Land of Surprises.

Brad, just his normal extension. He said you have to go to the Ministry of the Interior, which is in another building at Jaengwattana. The Ministry needs to verify that your embassy statement is genuine! Supposedly takes six hours. That means more running around and maybe two days instead of one. As I said, he lives in Nonthaburi (retired US military officer). No idea if it's nationwide or just his office, but it sounds crazy. I keep 800,000 baht sitting in a Thai account drawing ridiculously low interest, so I wonder how this will affect me.

I don't have to renew for a while yet, so hopefully the dust will settle before I have to go there.