Uber - Wot's It Like?

Coss

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I've been trying to get a job in NZ for 3 years now, no luck.

One, because of Uberisation of the work place

Two, because Millennials don't value experience and aptitude, they only know that if you're not successful in being liked in Facebook, then your no good and if you're over 50, forget it.

I've seen Millennials across the interview table for tech positions, that dont know what a distributed network is, but they can parrot "Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat" etc etc.

For them a TV is picture frame, they have no idea that electricity powers it, sure they know the power cord goes in the plug hole, but what comes out of the plug hole?

Unless you have a unique set of skills, then prospects of employment when you are over fifty are very dim in about any country.

I have seen people that could not find employment start their own business and be successful.

I was fortunate in that I do have a unique skill set and could find employment when I was over fifty, even over sixty it was possible.

Unless you have a unique set of skills, then prospects of employment when you are over fifty are very dim in about any country.

Could not agree more

Been doing the same old shite since I left School 37 years ago, admittedly older and wiser than I was then, but same principles apply

Lucky, Fortunate or the path I chose? In my game now minimum requirements are 50 Years old / 30 Years Experience, see even us old farts have value somewhere

I'm lucky in that I have no problem finding work for 2 months a year (That's all I want). I could find more, but not interested. Even luckier my son bought my company so I can go work with him.

At the company I (well now my son) has an 86 year old working. He is extremely sharp mentally but a little slow physically. During our real busy season he works 7 days a week, about 6 hours a day, sometimes more. He doesn't need the money, I tell him he does it so he doesn't have to spend time with his wife, he has not disagreed with me.

Depends I guess on how you feel about your job, frankly my current job, I'd do for nothing, after all I did the same as I do now for many years at a pittance of pay, now I'm very well paid, but I do it because I love it not for the $'s.

I would not do my job for free, OK I know it inside out and upside down and could do it standing on my head so to speak, I went through the hardships in Libya, Middle East and the "Stans" in order to take it easy in my twighlight years but I still want paying for it

Just the previous week for instance I happened to mention that I made the same fuck up back in 1985 on a Nuclear Power Plant.

My Viet Engineer was "What? 1985, I wasn't even born then!" I was like "Glad you recognise the fact, I have been doing this job since before you were sperm swimming around in your fathers ball bag" Maybe, Just maybe like I may know what I am on about hence the reason why am your consultant.

Bullshit, Smoke and Mirrors, love it pull the age card "When I was a Lad" so to speak , BBB Bullshit Baffles Brains, FFS I was offered "a few months work in Vietnam" that was over 4 years ago now and recently been offered another 2 years extension, they cannot see through my bollox yet haha.

PTBM

You have known me for many years now with my "don't give a damn persona" I am sure by now you realise it is just a front, gotta act "Jack the Lad" hehe

Posted before but here again the song of life "Take the Money and Run"

Knut? Yes and proud of it, if it wasn't me someone else would be getting away with it haha

Back to the theme of Uberisation of worker's rights...

KFC in NZ was just pinged by the courts for constructively, avoiding paying workers a day in lieu for working a public holiday.

The test for getting a day in lieu for working a public holiday, is 'if that day would normally be worked.'

KFC was making sure that rosters made sure that staff working the public holiday did not work the previous week's same days.

Now Amazon has opened in Australia I expect there'll be uproar when workers find out there's no sick pay, holidays or other rights. How the f*ck are you supposed to deliver 200 items in a day?

Capitalism is reaching the edge again, I'm not a communist, yet all I can see is the vastly rich, actively trying to degrade the lot of the common man.

but that's OK, we've all got Jesus phones, ooh look Shiny :)