Retirement Extension Etc. But Not Living In Los ?

torrenova

I reach the big 50 in a couple of years and can technically obtain the retirement extension etc. but my question is whether I can do this and get it renewed each year if I am not in LOS very much and crucially, possibly not in LOS on the anniversary date ?

I understand there are multiple entry permits and I can dump Bt400/800k in a bank but I would rather get it done and be grandfathered should the landscape change in the future.

Is it just not possible or if it is, what is the correct route ?

Last time I checked, which was over 5+ years ago, it was easier to get the retirement visa in Thailand. For me, in the

USA I would need a police report and fingerprints taken.In Tha

In Thailand, I had the income statement from the US Embassy and a doctor's certificate, that was it...if memory serves me.

I didn't have any trouble changing over from a non-immigrant visa to a retirement visa. Doing the retirement visa from scratch would be more complicated. A friend did it simply by paying a company here to walk it through for him. He said he knew he could have done it himself, but the money was worth it to avoid the bother.

I knew someone who was on a retirement visa but decided to go back and work some more in the States. He said Immigration wasn't too pleased when they realised he was spending most of the year outside Thailand, but I don't think they did anything about it.

Here's what you need, according to the Thai consulate in L.A.

http://www.thaiconsu...aspx?link_id=48

Note these:

*6. Four copies of police verification stating the applicant has no criminal record issued by the authority concerned of his/her nationality or residence. The verification must not be more than three months old. Please note we will not accept the receipt for Request for Live Scan Service unless it includes the actual report/results.

*7. Four copies of the completed medical certificate form |Download| issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 (B.E. 2535) with the name and address of the doctor. The certificate must be not be older than 3 months.

As Cav said, I needed no police check in Thailand. I also don't remember having to get any medical certificate here. (Or if I did it was one of those forms filled out by a Thai doc who just looks at you and signs it.)

Does the retirement visa have a requirement that you spend a certain amount of time in country? I'm probably wide of the mark but I have this number of 180 days in my head. Might be to do with something else though. Just a thought.

RM

You may be correct on retirement but the 180 means to me falling under Thai Tax Rules, as in if 180+ days per year within Thailand elnlegable for tax on any overseas earnings remitted to Thailand "Earned within said period".

I've never heard of any such limit. But if you were spending less than half the year here, Immigration might decide to give you a hard time. Retirement assumes you are going to be living here most of the time. (Probably nothing that money can't fix.)

I know some retirees who do divide their time between Thailand and the US, avoiding the worst months for weather in each one.