Welcome.

Apart from the perceived cost of fun having gone up, way too much over the years, Thailand is still a place where enormous fun can be had.

My advice, such as it is, is that the more promoted something is, the less fun it'll be. And that twinkle in a girl's eye, in the most unlikely of places, if acted upon, is probably the best fun you'll ever have.

Cheers

Cost

• Like 1

Thanks gents.

Will not be arriving till late next January,but am looking forward to it already.

Have never been to Pattaya,I have a friend that wants to meet me there,so I said "sure,why not"

I am a single man,with no ties,other than a job.

Really want to go to Hua Him this trip as well.

Enjoying reading the forum so far.I can see some real characters already.

I'll meet you in HH in january for an evening out.....

BB

• Like 1

Thanks gents.

Will not be arriving till late next January,but am looking forward to it already.

Have never been to Pattaya,I have a friend that wants to meet me there,so I said "sure,why not"

Enjoying reading the forum so far.I can see some real characters already.

If Bangkok has changed X% in the last 20 years then Pattaya has changed 3X% or even more, some for the good, some for the bad. The simpler Pattaya and indeed Thailand is mostly long gone in either metropolis.

Traversing Hua Hin, Bangkok and Pattaya in a decent length trip is hard enough but if the trip is less than a month, I'd give one of them a miss until next time. That would be Hua Hin I'm afraid which is where many people get to after the more eclectic locations. Trying to do all three in say two weeks means you're flying half way around the world to spend 20% of your time on the ground moving hotel rooms. Not advisable.

I would kick start in Bangkok with a plan to go down to Pattaya after about 1/3rd of my trip (unless a very long trip). That gives you time to assess Bangkok, time enough to experience Pattaya and then the option of enough time to return to Bangkok or remain in Pattaya.

Hotels largely depend on budget but top class places are available for much less than in the west. Quality at the bottom end is mixed and those in the know don't stay at the bad ones; newbie tourists make up their customers. Deals abound on websites and discount clubs so shout up when you know when and how much.

Lastly, planning is the greatest thing but you will ditch it when you arrive and go with the flow, as we all do :)

• Like 1

Pattaya.

You have to spend at least one night at the Penthouse Hotel in Pattaya. It's a must. You will never forget this hotel.

Very good location/distance from beaches and Walking Street.

Pattaya has changed dramatically since my first visit. Lot's of new construction, hotels, and housing developments.

Route Transportation. The Baht Buses - pickup trucks are a standard rate of 10 Baht. These have a standard route. No need to speak to driver. Just hop on. Press button when you want to get off. Pay driver after getting out. If you deviate from standard route the cost is more.

The LEK Hotel in Pattaya has a large buffet breakfast open to all.

All hotel prices vary by season. The LEK hotel old section is around 750 Baht. Centrally located on 2nd Road.

My default hotel is the Bella Vista Hotel on Soi 7/8 at around 900 Baht. Nice English Pub next door. This area though can be quite loud at night.

There are many hotels at all prices.

Hua Hin

huahinafterdark is a good source of local information.

The Fresh Inn Hotel in Hua Hin is centrally located near beaches. About 1,700 Baht. Around corner is the Jed Pee Nong Hotel for about the same.

There are many other hotels that have a lower cost nearby - that don't catch the internet coverage - but are fine hotels.

If funds are not a factor then the Sofitel Hotel on the beach is the destination. Down the street from the Fresh Inn and Jed Pee Nong. Around 4,000 baht but I found the prices much lower as a walk in. Obviously depending on season.

Hua Hin is a more family orientated destination but does have a dedicated night life.

Thanks guys.Lots,of good info here,well appreciated.

My friend often stays at Areca Lodge and he has suggested I do the same.

Not really thinking of the trip yet as it is a ways away,but will continue to read more on here.

Areca Lodge is a fairly safe bet in the lower mid range price bracket and has a wide selection of rooms and a half decent online booking system.

• Like 1