Foreign Atm Cards Rejected?

Flashermac

A friend posted this on Face Book. Anyone know anything?

For the Expats - What is going on with the Thai ATM machines eating US ATM cards???

The wife has had hers eaten by the local machines (Isaan) and the Thai Banks said they will no longer accept US ATM cards. Though the US Banks say the cards are fine, that it is a Thai Banking problem...

The only Thai Bank accepting US ATM Cards is now Bangkok Bank according to the wife...

I left an ATM card drawn on U.S. Bank with the lady that takes care of my house. Over the last year, and in particular last week, she has used it at her neighborhood SBC branch near Chiang Mai with no problems.

A friend posted this on Face Book. Anyone know anything?

For the Expats - What is going on with the Thai ATM machines eating US ATM cards???

The wife has had hers eaten by the local machines (Isaan) and the Thai Banks said they will no longer accept US ATM cards. Though the US Banks say the cards are fine, that it is a Thai Banking problem...

The only Thai Bank accepting US ATM Cards is now Bangkok Bank according to the wife...

I think that friend needs to sit down with his wife and have a careful talk about their family finances... just in case.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use U.S. ATM/debit cards in Thai bank ATMs all the time, and haven't had any problems with any of my cards being rejected.

If that ever happens, it's likely due to either:

A - a security/fraud hold on the card by your home country bank because they see the card's being used abroad.

B - some kind of passing technical or network communications problem with the local ATM you're trying to use.

Most of the time, IME, whatever explanations Thai bank CSR staff offer for why something has gone wrong -- especially when it's out of their direct area of work as ATMs are -- has about as much chance of being correct as that of finding a virgin working bar in Suk Soi 4.

• Like 1

I left an ATM card drawn on U.S. Bank with the lady that takes care of my house. Over the last year, and in particular last week, she has used it at her neighborhood SBC branch near Chiang Mai with no problems.

I had one of my ATM cards eaten by the ATM machine right next to the bank branch office. Went inside and was told that it would take two weeks to get card back. Apparently, they do not have a key.

So much for that card.

I do take 3 ATM cards with me on every trip. Always a backup plan.

Had one MasterCard eaten by a machine in Barcelona. Got that back the next morning (for a fee).