Brexit And The British Expat

Mekong

Britain has had economic problems for many years,going right back to the impact of the first and second world wars,plus the decline of heavy industry in the 70s and 80s.We have a big balance of payments deficit and massive govt. debt plus an ongoing budget deficit which the present elected lot promised they would reduce but have hardly made any progress on .But all this is really beside the point.The real argument is this ; Do we want control of our own country back or to become merged into a giant Euro Superstate ruled over by an unelected elite ?

• Like 1

Well I read it in a piece by a historian, can't find it.

W.

I am not disagreeing with you or spoiling for an argument at all, just interested where you ascertained your facts from. In any debate it is human nature to remember certain facts which support ones own opinions and dismissing the ones which counter such. I am just about old enough to remember the 1975 referendum (bollox showing my age now) I wasn't old enough to vote in that one but was mature enough to understand the arguments..

Pre 1973 the UK was on its knees economy wise and for the first few years of EU membership were advantageous but from 1980's onwards the advantages started to diminish.

As Dexi made a good point, the UK once was a proud manufacturing nation yet now it has next to nothing, the "Brain Drain" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/11435529/Britains-brightest-leaving-in-brain-drain-and-replaced-with-low-skilled-migrants.html skilled UK citizens are leaving and being replaced by low skilled immigrants, as an expat of over 25 years standing I am probably one of the original "Brain Drainers"

I hope that the vote goes Brexit, but truth be known I cast my vote back in 1988 when I completed my P85 and declared myself "Non-UK Resident for Tax Reasons" . Interesting times

Sir ,

personally I would very much prefer to have the UK as a member of the EU but on the other hand I would also prefer not having to listen any more to the permanent whining of what a glorious country Britain would be if it would not be tortured by Brussels-based bureaucrats . Reading the arguments of the Brexit supporters shows nothing but neglecting facts in favour of propaganda . There are tons of analysis for example in the Financial Times what a blessing the EU has been and still is for the UK but who wants to know . I say , quoting the ex-lovely Nok from Khorat : Up to you .

• Like 1

My father spent much of his retirement on family history research. In his own family line he was able to identify the earliest connection as being a Frenchy languishing in England having been part of the irregular force sent to assist Popish recusants during the Jacobite period.