Brexit And The British Expat

Mekong

To be fair you did invent the Brittish empire. However that's gone out of fashion now,

Oh so Television, Telephone, Internet, Steam Power, Automation and so forth just happened, Radar was a fluke etc now wonder us little Britons tell the rest of the world to fuck off, society can survive without Saunas Saab and Abba ,

• Like 3

And what the fuck has Belgium ever been ... irrelevant , like apart from Tin Tin and Poiret what the hell has your little country given the world.

We are better off out, little islanders so what, show me one invention from the world and I could show you 10 from the UK, I have already submitted my bid to demolish the Channel Tunnell

with reactions like yours, happy to see GB leave :)

As an outsider I've noticed a trend in the EU of over-reach and centralization/consolidation of power (the drive towards a central treasury, talk of an Army, the fact that representatives from member countries cannot overturn policies set by the EU commission -- once they're established you're screwed). Constant proposals and expansion. If you're one of the smaller poorer countries you essentially can't leave or they'll cripple you. Look at the austerity forced on Greece and even what is happening in Italy.

In the short term there will certainly be a loss of EU perks and economic instability - but I certainly think Britain made the right decision - in the long run - with the path of self determination.

(and I'm not right wing)

• Like 1

Note: There is also the elephant in the room, the conspiracy of silence around Islam on the left and the fear of criticizing it lest you be labeled a racist. Initially around the time of the US invasion of Iraq in 2003 I was very sympathetic towards Muslims (and in many ways still am), but I've slowly come to the sobering conclusion that there needs to be a frank and honest look/discussion at Islam as a large scale ideology with enormous influence. One can't deny that there are large chunks of populations that hold some pretty pernicious ideas around it and are fueled by it (death to apostates, death to gays, extreme oppression of women, literal jihad [kill or convert non-muslims], etc.). There are also reformers within it trying to prevent this (thank god - no pun intended).

Maybe forcing countries to accept large volumes of Muslim immigrants (whom you know nothing about) and then pretending there are no problems with compatibility is a really fucking bad idea (e.g., the gang rapes on NYE in Cologne). Having the EU force members to accept large scale immigration of Muslims without thinking through the consequences = ???. A true WTF.

• Like 1

But how much longer will the common market remain? Holland looks like it will go and probably all it needs is for one other largish country to pull out and the dominos will tumble....

Dear Sir ,

a country like Holland leaving the Common Market would sort of try to commit economical suicide . The common Market is NOT THE EU . It is an independent institution although with some identical basic values which are free trade - freedom of travel - free flow of capital - freedom of offering services anywhere . The members will not allow access to anybody without giving up even one of these principles . I wonder if Mr Farage did ever care to realise this . It is based on economical aspects other than the EU which is a political idea . The Common Market has created a paradise for tradesman BuBi and all of Europe and I wonder how somebody would like to give up access to the largest trade zone wordwide .

I am currently on holiday and have enough time to deepen my knowledge about the Brexit idea . Unfortunately the world or parts thereof seem to be willing to listen to idiots like Trump, Farage, le Pen , Wilders etc . , they are now suddenly everywhere Germany included . What they have in common is the lack of a concept for better times to come ( Britain´s mysterious future glory arising from what ? ) and an instinct to jump on popular movements . I am scared they will become stronger and stronger .

Gentlemen , this thread gives another fine example about the common irrationality of political discussion . All the esteemend boardmembers of the Anglo Saxon forces join in praising the wisdom of the recent decision and their utmost delight but so far I have not seen one word about hards facts happening soon that might reestablish the Empire or even something smaller . Farage found out these days that his idea to move the 350.000.000 Sterling into the health service has been bullshit but so what . Good luck with him or a clown like Khun Boris .

I am fairly sure that the Brits ( to my regret ) have voted for or against something while they did not realise what it really was or is or shall be . Let us meet here in two years again and check the result . Chok dee .

There seems to be genuine shock amongst some of those who voted to leave, as evidenced by several of these people interviewed on the televisual extravaganza.

To a man, and several women, they were all like "Oh, I didn't think my vote would matter, can we like actually stay?, I don't really want to leave I just wanted to protest, like are you sure?"