The Last Hurrah ...

Flashermac

Warblers

Been wrecking my brain for the last hour to recall the name.

Warblers was Santos' last hurrah before interpol caught up with him, that lad had more neck on him than a grolch bottle .

I like Santos how many Indians could claim to be mexican and then sell a bar they did not own (Titty Twisters) ten times over , it takes ballls to pull that one off. Top Lad, cannot be faulted, I wish I could have pulled that one off myself. Unfortunately greed got the better of him and led to his downfall.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warblers was a nice restaurant. The Nanaplaza board guys used to meet there for a while, since the buffet was good. Santos also had the best Mexican buffet I've seen in Bangkok. Warblers was clearly making money, and Titty Twister was doing well too. I'd often seen it packed. But as you say, he got greedy. The cops finally caught up with him too. (I think they found him hiding in Pattaya.)

p.s. Allegedly, Santos had done the same selling the same bar many times over stunt before he came to LOS. Instead of keeping a low profile, he had a very high one in Bangkok. (Santos claimed to be half Mexican, but if you tried speaking Spanish to him or asking him anything about Mexico, he was lost.)

History lesson Flash

As a former "Ponger" you must remember its old HQ The Living Room on the corner of Suk Soi 11 right at the top of entrance to Clinton Plaza.

The owner of TLR used to operate a bar in Bahrain "Warblers" and his bar manager was non other than Santos, He stole the concept even down to the signage, chubby face with goatie beard, that was his ex boss.

After TLR got demolished he then opened a bar top floor of Raja Complex, that place must be cursed since I have never seen an establishment last more than 12 months there, That was a fun place, full sized shuffleboard table and a functional Bucking Bronco, forget the dance contests, have you ever seen a Thai Lady trying to ride a mechanical bull? memories I wished I had Videoed, I have tears of laughter just thinking about it.

Oh such times I endured before I became old and boring, old and boring is OK actually keeps me out of the grave.

Warblers was a nice restaurant. The Nanaplaza board guys used to meet there for a while, since the buffet was good. Santos also had the best Mexican buffet I've seen in Bangkok. Warblers was clearly making money, and Titty Twister was doing well too. I'd often seen it packed. But as you say, he got greedy. The cops finally caught up with him too. (I think they found him hiding in Pattaya.)

p.s. Allegedly, Santos had done the same selling the same bar many times over stunt before he came to LOS. Instead of keeping a low profile, he had a very high one in Bangkok. (Santos claimed to be half Mexican, but if you tried speaking Spanish to him or asking him anything about Mexico, he was lost.)

Ahh yes. Genetics determines the language you speak and the history you know. :neener:

I remember a certain BM hated Santos with a passion. I think he 1st ran into him in Dubai. Santos back stabbed anyone that trusted him.

History lesson Flash

As a former "Ponger" you must remember its old HQ The Living Room on the corner of Suk Soi 11 right at the top of entrance to Clinton Plaza.

The owner of TLR used to operate a bar in Bahrain "Warblers" and his bar manager was non other than Santos, He stole the concept even down to the signage, chubby face with goatie beard, that was his ex boss.

After TLR got demolished he then opened a bar top floor of Raja Complex, that place must be cursed since I have never seen an establishment last more than 12 months there, That was a fun place, full sized shuffleboard table and a functional Bucking Bronco, forget the dance contests, have you ever seen a Thai Lady trying to ride a mechanical bull? memories I wished I had Videoed, I have tears of laughter just thinking about it.

Oh such times I endured before I became old and boring, old and boring is OK actually keeps me out of the grave.

I remember TLR very well. It was a good place to meet whoever was in town. It had a "naughty boy room" in the back, and apparently some of the gals working there were illegals (Lao or Cambodian). I'd bent elbows often enough with Graham. Last I heard of him, he was hiding out from people he'd borrowed money from. I know he owed one Ponger about 200,000 baht.

Ahh yes. Genetics determines the language you speak and the history you know. :neener:

I remember a certain BM hated Santos with a passion. I think he 1st ran into him in Dubai. Santos back stabbed anyone that trusted him.

Ha! My great granddad was from Norfolk, England, and I speak the language fairly well. My grandmother was German, and I can stumble along in that language too. ;)

One of the guys Santos "sold" a half-share to in the Titty Twister was crippled and confined to a wheel chair. He gave everything he had to Santos, who shafted him with delight. Santos used to go on about how much he loved tequila, so a friend brought him a bottle of the finest brand. He told me he was thoroughly disgusted, since Santos just looked at it and didn't even know how to drink the booze he claimed to love.

I remember TLR very well. It was a good place to meet whoever was in town. It had a "naughty boy room" in the back, and apparently some of the gals working there were illegals (Lao or Cambodian). I'd bent elbows often enough with Graham. Last I heard of him, he was hiding out from people he'd borrowed money from. I know he owed one Ponger about 200,000 baht.

Wasn't the money owed to *NYS* repaid after a rather large Nanapong moderator from Scotland paid a call on Graham? I don't think the young guy ever saw his money again - just like our old pal Somchai?

On a brighter note, Jools was the first Thai bar I visited on my inaugural visit in 1988. Fine establishment, with a very kind bartendee called Dao (Star). Happy days...

I don't remember if NYS got it all back. He got much of it back, thanks to the guy from north of the border.

I always liked Jools. Some Yanks have complained to me that they didn't feel welcome. I never had that problem, in fact most folks didn't even know I was from the US. I'll be sorry to see it go.

p.s. For some reason Thais seem to think I'm Canadian. Maybe it's the Mountie outfit or something, eh. :hmmm: