Decline Of Food Quality?

baa99

Has the food quality/taste declined at the food stalls in Bangkok? Some friends of mine, an ex-USAF and his Thai wife, said that this year the food was poor. They visit Thailand about every year, so they definitely have a solid base line for comparisons. Only one stall they visited had good food. :sad:

Does the fact he is ex-USAF make him a better food critic? are air force better than navy as far as taste buds are concerned,

I don't seem to recall a scene from Top Gun where Maverick and Charlie compiled their list of Top Ten Thai restaurants in San Diego and surrounding areas.

Joking asides, they are probably eating at the same places they have been for years. Times are changing, areas of Bangkok once considered as High End are now becoming ghettos. The food has not changed its just moved elsewhere.

Mamma Nong at the top of my soi still flashes a smile with her one single tooth whilst stirring her wok and frying up her noodles

As any statistician will almost gloat to tell you, one empirical data point is stretching it pretty damn fine!

I still chomp on food that would I would gladly pay top dollar for. The old dear at the end of my soi makes a damn fine rice and two.

Jeez. It costs 5, maybe 10 baht more! I picture Flash with a broken dusty bowl and a shiny spoon - give me a break!

Well, yes good point, and I applaud you on your sentiments - however I thought the topic was more about the foreign visitor aspect of things. I mean we haven't yet heard why the Air Chief Marshall decided that the stir fried clams with chili jam were off spec. from last year? That might illuminate things a bit better. Also that Top Gun theme song is stuck in my head - thanks Mekong!

More to the point, my comment was in response to a direct comment from you - there was no mention of the context of native population in it. Indeed it sounded like you were whining about prices - hence my comment.

555 - you can really take to the moral high ground like the old goat that ye are me Flashy - but ya don't fool me!