The Consequence Of Leaving Britex

My Penis is hungry

Hi,

"Not to mention that you have to jump through many hoops to gain citizenship, which costs about 200,000 baht, if memory serves me."

I think you mean Permanent Residency, right?

And yes, last I heard it costs ~200K (half that if you are married to a Thai) and can take up to 3 years.

Not worth the hassle as this still will not give you the right to vote or own land. Nor is it a 100% guarantee that you can stay in the country the rest of your life.

Sanuk!

• 2 weeks later...

RM, I got PR mainly because both my children are Thai citizens and I have been here this long. The PR is valid for life*. While I still need a work permit if I want to work, there is a lot less paperwork involved. It is only if you intend to travel that the fees become an issue - the re-entry permit and stamps do cost but it ensures you keep the PR status. No problems at the airport coming in, I believe I now qualify to use the electronic passport control and can bypass all the long lines.

I know someone who has been here 18 years and has never left; he just goes to the embassy every 5 years, gives them an old, unused blank passport and gets a new one done.

*as long as you stay here and don't want to leave. No reporting, no additional fees, no annual stamps, nothing.. Stay as long as you want.. :)