Change And Banks

Pom Michael

I've always taken my spare change from my pockets and put into jars, piggy banks.

A few years ago I bought a really big ceramic pig and started filling it up. Now after about 5 years I swear the thing weights 30 kgs.

To heavy to move around and about ready to break the shelf.

So - time to cash in. But how?

I'm not going to count them manually and put into rolls. Do any Thai banks have change counting machines?

Come on, board members, help Pom Michael out! Certainly we can find at least ten good ways for him to spend his 30 kgs of Thai coins, other than the very mundane plan to turn it in for cash!

One: Dropping coins in the boxes at the temple - Wat Po comes to mind as one with 108 brass bowls. That's one idea.

Two: That's right, as she packs up to go in the morning, subtle slip 2,373 baht worth of coins into her handbag - plus another 117 baht in coins in her pocket for "taxi"... 2,373 too much, spoiling the market? Okay, 1,789 baht...

Banks charge (too much!!) for counting money; I used to have a small sideline with those phone top-up machines and a coin-operated petrol bowser out in the boondocks that used to generate tons of coins.

The best places to change them into notes are the petrol stations (at least upcountry) and your local 7-11. If you're lucky the 7-11 staff will count the coins for you if they're desperate enough. Another place used to be the AIS counter at BigC upcountry; they never ever had enough coins..

Difficult to find coin-sorting machines here and they cost way too much if you're using it as a one-off.

My two baht worth

Tip on how to dispose of surplus 1 bt coins....arrange into stacks of ten and clear tape them together....simple :hubbahubba:

And then what, throw 'em in the river? You'll just piss off whoever is the next recipient...

One: Dropping coins in the boxes at the temple - Wat Po comes to mind as one with 108 brass bowls. That's one idea.

Two: That's right, as she packs up to go in the morning, subtle slip 2,373 baht worth of coins into her handbag - plus another 117 baht in coins in her pocket for "taxi"... 2,373 too much, spoiling the market? Okay, 1,789 baht.

Three: Arrange 1 baht coins into stacks of ten and clear tape them together.

Not sure about Thailand but in UK when I was cashing coins in they were not counted but done by weight

10 Baht Coin is 8.5G so 850G per 1,000 THB

5 Baht Coins could be tricky pre 2009 they were 7.5G post 2009 6G

Sort, Bag and weigh would be my advice, if casching in 1 THB or 50 Satang coins it may be a time to reconsider your lifestyle