20 Year Anniversary

khunsanuk

Congrats on longevity KS, showing remarkable stamina in the digital age.

You got me thinking about Internet speeds and prices in Thailand over the past 20 odd years

If memory serves me right my first ESP was on Eastern Seaboard with Loxinfo, 56Kbs for the life of me cannot remember the data limit but it was tiny (In fact I think it was time limited 2 hours) and that set me back THB1.200 / month. Only used for emails really log on, synch inbox, log off, compose reply log back on again and send, in those dim and distant days people who sent banal attachments soon fount themselves condemned to my junk mail list.

Around 2000 there was KSC, no need to register, pop down to 7-11 pay THB200 for about 500Mb of data, or was it 750? it was less than 1Gb at (advertised) 56Kbps could stay online for 24 hours and not use all data. My 7-11 Shopping basket, 8 Cans of Tiger, 2 Packs of Smokes, a Pack of Condoms and a KSC card.

2004 we entered the modern world ADSL was affordable to the home consumer, 516Kbps ADSL line with Jasmine Internet (JINET) unlimited data, THB1,700 per month FARK, I was in my element, online 24/7 for a fixed fee, it still took an age to download music files from Napster but it was achievable let in D/L overnight whilst sleeping without incurring data charges.

April 2005 was the game changer, when Bandwidth became critical the launch of Youtube, "BUFFERING" brought out the anglo saxon language in me shouting at "You Fucking Stupid Machine ... Hurry Up" Bollox splashed the cash THB2,500 per month for 1024, my first 1Mbps connection.

Now 2016, I have a 100Mbps FTTH for THB699 / month , VOIP, IPTV and the kitchen sink comes via that link. Even over here in the "Land of the Pointy Hats" I am getting 5Gb at 10Mbps via 3G on mobile devices for 20,000 VND (less than THB300 / US$10) per month whilst travelling through rural countryside with Paddy Fields either side.

Moore Law was only applicable to IC's but also is applies to Data Speeds and Costs

My father would call my thoughts "A trip down memory lane" nowadays it is "A Stroll down the Information Superhighway"

• Like 1

Hi,

"Only used for emails really log on, synch inbox, log off, compose reply log back on again and send"

I got here in '97. Dial-up speeds of 33.6K if I remember correctly, and getting cut off every 15 min due to the shared phone lines in the apartment. Was very happy to get my own direct line.

Sanuk!

Hi,

"Not if you schedule it for September 30th (a Friday)."

Well, I'm game. No interest in renting a venue or doing t-shirts and shit, but if there is enough interest I have no problem meeting up somewhere.

Sanuk!

thats a week early for me, will work october 7th.....or in december when more travellers will be in LOS......

BB