Tourist Visas

yfs

The Thai consulate web page states that one must provide copies of air ticket and bank statements when applying for a tourist visa.

I'm not wild about sharing personal finance info with anyone, let alone dodgy govt. officials. So I'm thinking I should open a savings or checking account with a minimal balance.

Does anyone know the minimum amount one could have in an account that would be acceptable?

"at the Office of Immigration Bureau located on Soi Suan Plu ..."

Is there still an office there?

Yes

Suan Plu is for Myanmar, Laos Cambodia and maybe a few others also still home to IDC

It was also used for all nationalities during the 2011 floods when Chaeng Wattana was inaccessible

Which is why I just get mine on arrival.

No you don't how many times have you been to Thailand and still think the same.

What you are getting is a 30 Day Visa Exemption Stamp not a Visa, Visa on Arrival is limited to 21 countries including China, Latvia and Saudi Arabia

Yes

Suan Plu is for Myanmar, Laos Cambodia and maybe a few others also still home to IDC

It was also used for all nationalities during the 2011 floods when Chaeng Wattana was inaccessible

During the floods I had to go to the office in the Red Shirt mall.

p.s. I actually liked Soi Suan Plu, since there are some good restaurants on that street. I usually went to one that had Vietnamese dishes and (best of all) khao phat gaeng gari! :)

Which type of visa?

http://thaiembdc.org...-multiple-metv/

5. A copy of recent bank statement for the last 6 months with a minimum balance of $7,000 (every months) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)

Single entry or Multiple entry?

I normally apply for a 60-day, Single entry VISA at the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington D.C. The bank statement balance for a “TR†Single VISA is only $700, versus the $7,000 balance for a Multiple entry VISA cited above. I opened a Schwab acct and fund the acct with my anticipated spending for my Thailand trip, then use the Schwab debit card for withdrawals at ATMs in Thailand with the ATM fees reimbursed by Schwab.

http://thaiembdc.org...as/category-tr/

5. A copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) , In case of submitting family bank statement a proof of relationship (i.e. birth certificate, marriage certificate) must be provided.