Is Thailand (Bangkok) really that addictive?

Ok well I am a newbe but I need some info before I plan a trip to BKK. I have read the stickman info and all about BG's and what not. I meen BKK sounds nice and everything and people talk about it being addictive droping their high paying office job here and moving over there workin for pennies. I doubt that BKK or even Thailand is that addictive I refuse to beleive that one place can actually have such a strong affect on people. Is Thailand really that addictive? if it is tell me why?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is addictive for some and not for others.

My friend and I visited Thailand for our first time in December 2001 strictly for the sex scene. My approach was to treat the bar girls as human beings whereas my friend treated them as disposable objects. In the long run, I was having a better time interacting with them than he was (it is amazing what they can pick up). I was truly enjoying my time with them.

Eventually my horizons expanded, till I now think of the sex scene as merely one small component of what Thailand has to offer. He still thinks it as a place to go and get your rocks off.

I became addicted and he didn't.

"the journey of ten thousand miles begins with a phone call"...

CONFUCIUS BELL.

Make that call to your travel agent ... you won't regret it. smile.gif

troydeere

No, Thailand is NOT the LEAST bit addictive. I am not addicted. I can quit AT ANY TIME. I can. Absolutely. What a nonsensical question. I've just not WANTED to quit, see? That's all. But I could. I COULD. I'm telling you, I COULD!

Gung Fu boy,

The consensus seems to be that you can get out of the place relatively unscathed the first time, but a second visit and you are a lifetime junkie. Others seem to kick the habit after a mere 20 or 30 visits ....

Its interesting that many of the repeat offenders return to Thailand after visiting other countries, Asian and otherwise, and being unable to find the exact combination of attractions that lure them back to Thailand. In most cases the differentiator is the relative safety of a city like Bangkok over somewhere like Rio (or Manila, Pnomh Penh, Miami ...), and the friendliness of the people. I have to believe that the difference is Buddhism, and a nation willing to practise what they preach. Yes, the contradictions are beginning to crop up as middle-class Thais become more affluent, but Paradise hasnt completely disappeared under the weight of the mighty dollar.

Back to the point. Is Thailand addictive ? My advice is to visit once, and think very hard about whether you want to repeat the dosage. Ater my first trip in Feb, I'm in that position, and I want to see a lot of other places before I go back to the LOS. Regardless, its pull is undeniable: everytime I look at airline routes and prices, I find myself looking at the flights that go to Bangkok smile.gif

There are many different factors that make Thailand so appealing to us, not the least of which is the attitude that we choose to take in regards to the girls and Thai people in general. I'm preparing for my 2nd trip in Sept....Am I addicted? All I know is I have 79 long days to go until I get on that plane......

Archived