Is Thailand (Bangkok) really that addictive?

Addictive??

Anything that one does repeatedly that has the effect of:

1) Providing stimulating social intercourse

2) Improving one's diet and general physical health

3) Increasing one's sense of well-being

4) Expanding one's understanding of life

seems more like a good habit that should be continued, rather than an addiction.

J22J

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesssssssssss!

Now I found out after reading your post that i'm not a addict, I only have a good habit.

LOL

Thank's

"Sex is hereditary. If your parents never had it, chances are you won't either."

Yes it is addictive. I'm only back four weeks and now I'm trying to get reasons to tell the wife that I want to go back to Thailand. I met a very nice lady in ICQ whom I met twice when in Bangkok recently. I want to go back and see her again. I should say no sex was involved. She is one of those 'good girls' of Bangkok. She has a nice smile, very little english but what fun in teaching her both there and since then in ICQ. Yes I think if I had freedom to go to Bangkok whenever I wanted I belive I would go and never come back.

Well its good to know im not addicted.....but it seems like a very strange "good habit" that keeps me from thinking about anything else but being on vacation and back in LOS in just over 4 days cool.gif

Hi Mr. Kungfu !

I am interested in your idea to compare Thailand with an island in the movie "Thin Red Line" although I did not see that movie. But it looks similar to old movie of Sailers' Mutiny of HMS Bounty at Tahiti island?!?

Thailand is not a Tahiti of 17-18th Century or quiet Pacific islands. It is Babylon of 20-21st Century. well organized

huge night life business complex.

Rather to say, Thailand is Guadalcanal itself of night life!

Iron Bottom Strait, Henderson Air Base, etc. etc.

I believe those who addicted in Thailand are true soldies in mind!

• 9 years later...

Thread necro alert :clown:

Havent seen much from my old mate lazyphil of late, but 2012 marks 10 years on the board for both of us. KS has indicated that he will burn 10 incense sticks in our honour at Wat Po, and I'm going to do a lap of the local oval at the school fete here in Dullsville.

Anyhoo, at the risk of pissing a few old-timers off, I had to dig up this old gem. For all my naivete back in 2002, with exactly one visit under my belt, I stand by what I said almost 10 years (!) ago : I spent 6 years exploring other parts of Asia before I came back, but when I did it was all downhill from there.

You know its hopeless when you find yourself counting the weeks from the time you get on the return flight till the time you can once again step off the plane in BKK - I don't feel that way about any other part of Asia, even cities where sex is cheap and widely available. I still haven't made it to PI, but I doubt that there is the same range of distractions on offer as there are in BKK and Pattaya. Old timers will tell you its all pale imitation of what it was in 1990, but without a time machine I'll take what I can get. Roll on 2012. :grinyes:

The consensus seems to be that you can get out of the place relatively unscathed the first time, but a second visit and you are a lifetime junkie. Others seem to kick the habit after a mere 20 or 30 visits ....

Is Thailand addictive ? My advice is to visit once, and think very hard about whether you want to repeat the dosage. After my first trip in Feb, I'm in that position, and I want to see a lot of other places before I go back to the LOS. Regardless, its pull is undeniable: everytime I look at airline routes and prices, I find myself looking at the flights that go to Bangkok smile.gif

Guest lazyphil

Thread necro alert :clown:

Havent seen much from my old mate lazyphil of late, but 2012 marks 10 years on the board for both of us. KS has indicated that he will burn 10 incense sticks in our honour at Wat Po, and I'm going to do a lap of the local oval at the school fete here in Dullsville.

Anyhoo, at the risk of pissing a few old-timers off, I had to dig up this old gem. For all my naivete back in 2002, with exactly one visit under my belt, I stand by what I said almost 10 years (!) ago : I spent 6 years exploring other parts of Asia before I came back, but when I did it was all downhill from there.

You know its hopeless when you find yourself counting the weeks from the time you get on the return flight till the time you can once again step off the plane in BKK - I don't feel that way about any other part of Asia, even cities where sex is cheap and widely available. I still haven't made it to PI, but I doubt that there is the same range of distractions on offer as there are in BKK and Pattaya. Old timers will tell you its all pale imitation of what it was in 1990, but without a time machine I'll take what I can get. Roll on 2012. :grinyes:

still here me ole mate arty :banghead:

Guest lazyphil

still drawn to the los, booked up again for august, counting the weeks at the moment, counting days at this point is mental tortue....taking my 10 year old once again.....destination trang, the more i read about the place the more i wish i went long before, anyone with any experience here?

still drawn to the los, booked up again for august, counting the weeks at the moment, counting days at this point is mental tortue....taking my 10 year old once again.....destination trang, the more i read about the place the more i wish i went long before, anyone with any experience here?

Good to see you still posting, phil - enjoy your trip and, trust me, 7-8 months would be a dream-come-true right now :grinyes:

Archived