Sim Card

Hi can anyone advise me which Sim to get when we arrive in Thailand.We will be travelling to Vietnam and Cambodia and back to Thailand;I was wondering which Sim with data and calls would be best for a months holiday and how much it would cost.

I have had a 1-2 Call SIM for years now which I just top up when in LOS. 500 baht usually lasts me 2 weeks just making local calls. It works in Phnom Penh but not sure about outside there or in Vietnam. On arrival they usually have a booth or kiosk set up between immigration and the taxi stand that sells local sims at a fairly decent rate.

As for data most place offer free wi-fi so never really a consideration.

You can also buy an international sim but have no idea of the charges.

I have had a 1-2 Call SIM for years now which I just top up when in LOS. 500 baht usually lasts me 2 weeks just making local calls. It works in Phnom Penh but not sure about outside there or in Vietnam. On arrival they usually have a booth or kiosk set up between immigration and the taxi stand that sells local sims at a fairly decent rate.

As for data most place offer free wi-fi so never really a consideration.

You can also buy an international sim but have no idea of the charges.

Remember a Thai Pre-Paid SIM will cost a fortune to use in Vietnam with international roaming and data charges

Many PAYG SIM's available in VN, personally I used VinaPhone a SIM will set you back 50,000 VND (about £1.70) and data is available @ 1.6GB / Month for 70,000 VND, 2.5GB / Month for 100,000, 5.5GB / Month for 200,000VND or 10GB / Month for 300.000 VND, I use BIG200 (5.5GB / Month) and on my iPad with it at least 50 hours per month and it is sufficient, for a few days I would suggest BIG100 (2..5GB) with SIM card and 50,000 VND of call / SMS credit 200,000 VND or £6.80 i.e. less than a quid per day.for a weeks visit.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=vi&u=http://dichvuvinaphone.com/dang-ky-3g-cac-goi-big-data-cua-vinaphone/&prev=search

P.S. I have been working in Vietnam for over 3 years now, this is first hand advice

• Like 1

See even us rags can be friendly to you berries even after the weekends result.

Well earned mate, your lads deserved it, Pep gave Jose a lesson (again) I was fortunate enough to be at the Nou Camp back in 2011 for the 5-0 demolition.

Starting my fourth year here in VN, a typical 12-18 month contract, sure beats Salford.

Mekong which currency would you recommend taking to Vietnam.Or would i be better withdrawing from the Atm while there.

I use my Thai Cards in BIDV and VINCOM but only use my Thai ATM Cards never my UK or offshore accounts, call me paranoid but I only expose a max of $1,000 via a third country account in Nam.

Withdrawals are limited to 3,000,000 VND per pop about $125, honestly it is difficult to spend that in 2 weeks on beer, tabs and scram when everything is all found, lets see, 215,000VND for a 24 can case of beer, 250,000VND for a Carton of Marlboro Lite, Bia Hoi 90,000VND tonight for 3 people so only twice per week tops, Steak Dinner 350,000VND, bottle of Vodka 60,000VND and so on, etc cheap as chips over here, I have a freakin' heart attack every time home in Bangkok and prices there.

I am enjoying Nam, sure beats Saudi, UAE, Qatar etc, money is good which is bottom line

Cheers

Kong