Top Thailand National Universities Rankings

Flashermac

Here are 118 Thai universities rated, some so obscure I'd never heard of them. Having taught at 5 of these, I also disagree somewhat. I'm amazed to see UTCC at number 18, well above many major universities. The faculty members at UTCC are good, but the administration only cares about profits. It's unbelievably easy to graduate from there nowadays. Assumption is the only private university I would genuinely recommend. And putting Ramkhamhaeng above Naresuan? Not unless Naresuan has taken a nosedive. All of the rachapats (former teacher colleges) leave a lot to be desired. Thammasat has fallen to number 5 partly thanks to the move out to Rangsit. Many students don't want to go there and give TU a pass, while many parents also don't want their children living away from home. There was much resistance to the move, but the 'powers that be' ordered it anyway. That's a problem at most universities ... the educators' opinions are ignored and the administrators run things as a business.

https://tfetimes.com/best-colleges-in-thailand/

KMUT i would rate far higher. good school. AIT also

I second your thoughts PTBM, just maybe because it is where we have both had most success with amongst graduates either directly employed of had experience working with. When I was with an international Engineering house in Thailand over 75% of our annual intake were KMUT, it was, and still is the most respected Uni in my field as AIT is within yours. Even now a .co.th dos is controlled by AIT.

Stand out sore thumb is assumption, how on earth that "pay for degrees" factory is still ranked so high is beyond me, same as Ramkhamahaeng just below it, degrees obtained from either are not based upon merit but how much family can afford to pay for their offsprings Disraeli Moment "I have in my hand a pice of paper" may as well wipe their ass with it in my eyes.

Yes - Hired a lot of KMIT (KMUT) grads, from all three different locations. ThaiCom which is very strict hiring practices rates engineers from there better than the usual "obvious" places like Mahidon or Thammasat

Ramkhamhang - BLAH - gotta be joking?

UTCC - While 90% female, 10% Katoey, and 50% mistresses of someone rich, is not a bad school.

On what criteria were the universities assessed? - The ranking is meaningless without that information.

EG:

Research output in peer-reviewed journals?

External assessment of courses/teaching/examinations?

Assesment by discipline (not spanking, Flash - by course subjects) - even the best unies have some crap departments and vice versa.

• Like 1

Doc, that's what I mean. How were they rated?

Number 1 business faculty in Thailand is considered to be Commerce and Accountancy at Thammasat, the same thing with Law. Mahidol is clearly tops for Medical. Kaset and KMUT are great for Engineering. UTCC is actually fine, if you want to study accounting (the one major where you can always get a job when you graduate), and the banks are full of cute gals who graduated from it. Some of the other majors ... forget it. Chulalongkorn and Mahidol are well known for English, but only Thammasat limits how many may major in English each year (maximum 70 students by competitive exam). Most of the private unies and rachapats don't even have a proficiency test to be allowed in the major in the subject.

My own US university was 29th in the world last year (if I remember correctly). Now I see it has dropped to 43rd. How can something change that much in just 12 months?

p.s. PBTM, Thammasat's Engineering faculty has never been considered all that special. It's fairly new, as it the Faculty of Medicine. Why is it that Thai universities decided they must now offer every subject they could think of?