Thai Tv Crying Jag

panadolsandwich

A hi-so lady invades a women's wedding to show on the big vtr screen her ex-husband making love to the prospective bride. Then she threw shit on her face. Her name is Karet and she is one of those girls that buys 1000 baht colas on the Khao San rd. She also has a problem, which should make us all for sorry for her (while she makes our lives hell). Of course that problem is mental illness.

It occurred to me that this kind of passive aggressive behavior might be more psychotic, rather then cultural. I mean I really don't have a clue. I just don't understand psychology much, but I've I'd read about mental illness and I came upon this interesting theory. What if psychosis was fixed, much like gravity is fixed. If psychosis was more of a field energy, like gravity, then that would certainly explain it all. Think about in these terms: there is only so much psychosis that a society can tolerate. If psychosis is concentrated too much in a minority of people then it only makes sense that the majority are mostly sane.

Now the clever way of looking at this is look at the polar opposite. If the minority are almost sane, then the majority are with varying degrees of severity - insane. All of the a sudden this model starts to sound true. But what if only say 60% are sane and 40% insane? That's when we start to question what sanity even is...

And that's where Karet comes in. Is she sane? Well no - not at least according to the latest psychological understanding of the word. Mind I'm an amateur here, but she would seem to suffer from a personality disorder - most likely borderline. She displays all the symptoms -

• Frantic efforts to avoid real or imagined abandonment. She offers her husband 10 M Baht to start his own business (she is the rich one and he is poor) to persuade him to stop his philandering.
  • A pattern of unstable and intense interpersonal relationships characterized by alternating between extremes of idealization and devaluation. This is her fourth husband - all they rest have died. Mind you she is only in her twenties, and the death toll could considerably rise - being episode 1 and all.
  • Identity disturbance: markedly and persistently unstable self-image or sense of self. She is completely unwilling to get herself ready for a photo shoot while her housemaids are virtually pulling their hair out.
  • Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging (e.g., spending, promiscuous sex, eating disorders, substance abuse, reckless driving, binge eating).She has to be forcibly restrained from confronting reporters by her house staff to avoid her from making a fool of not only herself but to her extended family.
  • Recurrent suicidal behavior, gestures, or threats, or self-mutilating behavior. In the opening scene her (step) mother is going away and makes a sarcastic comment about not slitting your wrists this time.
  • Affective instability due to a marked reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days) In this case it's like Karet is their textbook example. You couldn't demonstrate this characteristic better to anyone more easily then just telling them to watch this soap.
  • Chronic feelings of emptiness. Her pretend mourning for her husband, then attempted seduction of the upright and (seemingly impotent) good samaritan.
  • Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights). This is Thai soap 101 and Karet starts the battle in the very opening scene.
  • Transient, stress-related paranoid ideation or severe dissociative symptoms Everyone seems to know she's just a bomb ticking.

So the thing is you think, well Karet certainly fits the bill - you only need five or more of the traits to qualify anyway. But to my dawning horror, most of the characters display the very same traits with various severity. Even the so called Heroine in the tale.

If the so called psychosis quotient rule really fits, then what they are doing is radiating psychosis into the airwaves in a cynical attempt to ameleriote some high order elite types that need progressive therapy. It's chilling to think about really.

Ok before you accuse me of being insane let me tell you something that kind of blew me away. I found myself in a completely unforeseen and unprovoked argument with a girlfriend of mine. It was bizarre and out of the blue. Slyly I asked her did she watch any TV last night. Of course she had. I got a copy and sure enough I saw the exact same argument being played out on the screen.

Still as I say I know next to nothing about the junk science of Psychology. I read a few books, but I must admit I found them turgid and largely incomprehensible with too much arcane language I couldn't be arsed to learn about. It can still be useful even if it is largely unscientific.

BTW I chose this particular series because English subtitles are readily available - and this is a cracker of a series that I'd highly recommend if only because it's a formative lesson on how not to get your balls cut off when in a relationship with a Thai Lady.

It's called สามีตีตรา if anyone is interested. I used this as part of my personal language studies and I submitted my own translations to various people for subtitles because the one's out there were simply so bad.