How Will Thai King's Passing Affect Nightlife?

Fiery Jack

Last night Nana Plaza was closed while Patpong and Soi Cowboy open. From Cowboy, there was drinking but not much dancing.

Friday morning and there is little clarity - bar bosses aren't sure what will happen. There's talk of closure between 3 and 7 days for some and subdued operations for 30 days.

Early reports said the PM called for entertainment to be "toned down". Didn't demand any closures.

Today is an official holiday, all schools and businesses closed. A friend tells me his kid's private school said they will be closed next week too. The CP has asked for a delay in being named the new king, out of respect for his revered father.

Arrests of alleged terrorists yesterday, supposed to be Islamists planning car bomb attacks at the airport. It would be like the nutters to try to take advantage of the situation.

Try this ...

BANGKOK — In the wake of His Majesty King Bhumibol’s death Thursday, the authorities have called for 30 days without entertainment.

Most events this weekend have been canceled, and some venues announced they would close temporarily, either for the day, through the weekend or until further notice. Some will remain open as usual, only canceling special events.

What does this mean for people living in the capital? What will be open and what will be closed? We put together what we know to expect so far. Check back for updates, and as a general rule: Call ahead first.

Restaurants and Cafes

Most restaurants and cafes will open as usual, but patrons should check with any planned venue as some have announced they will close.

Movies

Movie theaters will remain open, but some chains were closed Friday. Check their websites.

SF Cinema: All branches are closed Friday

Major Cineplex: Open as usual

House RCA: Closed on Friday, open Saturday onward

Lido and Scala: Open as usual

Nightlife

Soi Cowboy, popular among tourists, has announced it will be closed indefinitely.

Alcohol Sales

Alcohol will be sold during the usual hours of 11am-2pm, from 5pm-midnight, according to Samarn Futrakul, of the alcohol control board. Alcohol sales will be banned on Saturday, which is Wan Ok Phansa, or the last day of Buddhist Lent.

Clubs

Some nightlife venues will go dark, some not. Again, best to check ahead. Beam and Demo in Thonglor, Levels and Sugar in Nana and Silom’s Whiteline announced they were closed until further notice.

Bars

While bars will be allowed to operate, they must close at 1am and no types of parties will be tolerated within them, Thanakorn Kuptajit of the Thai Alcohol Beverage Business Association said.

However some bars will be closed this weekend, so again — check ahead.

TV

Although the junta is returning broadcasting authority to the stations at midnight, there will be limitations on what can be shown, with no entertainment programs allowed.

Channel 3 posted on Facebook that all soap operas and series won’t be allowed. Announcement of when they will resume will be made later.

Concerts

The sold-out Morrissey concert has been cancelled. Refunds are available at places of purchase, according to organizer Viji Corp.

Nineties rockers Modern Dog postponed their 22nd-anniversary concertuntil further notice, according BEC-Tero Entertainment.

Special Events

The Oct. 17 Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan is canceled.

Saturday’s Kolour Warehouse Party is also canceled, with refund information to be announced.

The Color Run event this weekend at Airport Rail Link Makkasan is canceled with the condolences from organizers. Information on full refunds will be posted on its Facebook page.

The book expo at Queen Sirikit National Convention Center which began on Oct. 13, will run according to plan until Oct. 24. While discussion panels on Atrium stage and meeting rooms can be arranged as normal, all broadcast and entertainment activities in every booth are forbidden.

Theatre

Rachadalai Theatre has canceled all October performances of “Lordlai Mangkorn The Musical,†which was to open tonight. More shows and ticket refunds are to be announced.

“Firefly’s Tales The Musical†at Siam Pic-Ganesha Theatre also cancel 13 forthcoming shows. Tickets can be refunded at Thai Ticket Major.

http://www.khaosoden...ourning-period/

Dean!!! Sack your source. Bars closed tomorrow to sell alcohol but it appears nobody really knows because these are unchartered waters. Now 5.00 am and I just finished a beer in Soi 22

What I really need is a source for Chiang Mai. For the first time since I've been coming to Thailand, I won't be landing or spending any time in Bangkok. Nightlife in C.M. Is negligible at best and my house is at least 20 minutes from the town center, so I doubt if I'll be checking the bar scene. Unfortunately, it's a work related visit, with most days working on the house to get it ready to try to rent.