Public Anger Is Growing At How Thailand’S Tv Shows Glorify Rape

Coss

• 2 weeks later...

In Thai soap operas, rape is often shown as a vehicle for revenge or a path to true love. Now activists are calling on producers to stop romanticizing the crime and feeding into the country’s culture of gender inequality.

To avenge his father’s death, Pathvee hunts down the only daughter of his father’s enemy, harasses her and rapes her. Then she falls in love with him and they live happily ever after. It might sound unlikely, but this is the plot of the popular Thai soap opera “Unending Fire of Passion,†which is far from unusual among Thai soaps in turning sexual violence into romance.

In “Sunset at Chao Praya,†the hero, Kobori, forces his new wife to have sex with him. In “Missing Heaven,†the lead character Kavee rapes the heroine Narin for family revenge, and in “The Power of Shadows†a handsome male character drunkenly rapes the female lead. In almost all cases, the women end up ultimately falling in love with their attackers.

A study by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation found that 80 percent of Thai soap operas, or lakhon, depicted rape or sexual violence in 2014. Characters who commit sexual violence are also rarely – if ever – held to account.

more at http://www.huffingto...4b01d8a014b800e

I've become a somewhat 'aficionado' of Thai Tv. Not through choice let me mind you, but through omnipresence. I learnt to understand it, appreciate it's guile, laugh at the ads, sob at the antics, and .... well the list goes on, but I'm a great sucker of Thai Tv.

Excuse me Coss, but in all the instances you quoted - you could replace 'rape', with 'displayed his virility with great passion', and it still fits and is far from offensive. Coupled with the fact that Asian women are notoriously shy (but game as hell in the sack), I begin to question your reasoning???

Don't get me wrong, rape is despicable. I question the feminist view that rape is so common as diluting the term and making it run counter to it's purpose. Who the fuck are these feminists anyway except horse-faced run-around-the-paddock-twice dried up whores?

At the very least rape is a crime of such horror, it's up there with murder in my book.

What to do? You could play with rape laws, or you could just fucking fix it. Give women more rights, and more of a voice. Cut off oxygen to the so called, 'feminists'. Make women more equal. You know what? Like Scandinavia has. And you know where the highest standard of living is? Scandinavia.