Gov’T Approves 10-Year Visas For Foreigners Over 50

Flashermac

Applicants must either earn a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht or have more than 3 million baht in their bank account, which cannot be withdrawn within the first year after receiving the visa. They must also have health insurance that covers hospital stays and provides at least USD$10,000 in annual coverage.

So a Foreigner over 50 will now be allowed to hold a work permit in Thailand according to this new proposal, otherwise how else will they legals have a monthly salary of at least 100,000 baht

• 4 weeks later...

If you take just one moment to look at it from the Thai point of view, these restrictions are meant to keep the riff-raff out. They don't mind rich foreigners at all. Last time I looked, Thailand is a sovereign country and can and will enforce what it thinks will be in it's best interest. Personally, if I couldn't meet those requirements, I wouldn't wish to live here.

The 90 day thing is in fact a yuuuuuuge insult to the good, well behaving foreigners that have divested themselves of business concerns abroad, and are now drip feeding money (and culture) into the community. It's xenophobia, and isn't adequately balanced with what for example passes in my home country Australia. I don't know enough about it, but it will have to change.

The Chiang Mai retirees are becoming (unsurprisingly) a powerful bloc and other minor players, etc. I don't have much time to play serious chess these days, but if I correctly see eight moves ahead, and I'm a very serious big data 'geek', which enabled me to pick Trump for POTUS as far back as December 2015, my modelling sees these attempts as doomed to fail. Repeat doomed to fail.

Keeping the riffraff out is one thing, but all foreign residents have to make the 90-day reports, including lecturers at government-supported universities and other Thai government employees. It's not just retired people. Imagine the reaction in Thailand if the US or Australian decided to require all Thai residents to report to immigration every 90 days or be fined.