Eye Glasses?

Flashermac

I used to play this same game than I added it up and realized that laser eye surgery pays for itself.

In year 2000 I found myself needing a new pair. The search led me to believe it would cost me around $500.00 to avoid looking like I found a used pair at a Sally Anna thrift store. Reading about laser eye surgery and adding up the costs of a few more years of new glasses, I came to the conclusion that if I paid for the surgery ( $3,000 ) up front it avoids anymore need to buy new glasses. Also avoids the scam of new changing fashions, designer frames, expensive optic finishes, etc. Not everyone is a candidate, however.

Luckily my childhood eye ulcers left a scar that was deeper than the depth which the laser needed to penatrate. After a few seconds in a chair and 2 days of eye drops on a weekend, my vision changed forever!

Best 3k I ever spent.

Shit.

I've had nothing but bad luck with Top Chareon - they are too pricey. The last pair I bought there cost 30,000THB and that with 50% off price for progressives and foreign frame! It was my first and last time as they had to change the lenses on first try as the result was not good. Happened to me twice at TC.

I went to an opticians in Siam sq, loads there, and got my prescription measured up. Then ordered for fraction the price from Zenni.com using prescription. Glasses arrive in post about 10-14 days later out of Hong Kong.

• Like 1

For the last several years, I have been using zennioptical.com. They do excellent work, have an outstanding reputation, and ship world over. Prices are much less than brick and mortar places but you need a prescription and to upload your photo to try on glasses. My last annual eye exam showed that the glasses that I ordered from them a year ago were still still good and that I didn't need to get another one.

They also make computer glasses, which basically corrects your far vision to distance between you and the computer. They have a formula that you can plug your prescription into for this. Because the prices are so low, I ordered two bifocal computer glasses in addition to my regular progressive transitions.

I can't comment on Thai optometrists since I have no direct experience with them, but if you are considering purchasing 'designer frames' I can confirm by direct experience that there's a enormous profit mark up on them, (3X + is normal) so negotiation should yield favourable results.