Why ‘My Mate Nate’ Is The Most Hated Farang At The Moment

Flashermac

I'm convinced there's a money god, one that looks through the unwashed masses and says, here you, have unbridled success and money. The recipients are chosen for simply being.

I know that when I've chucked my efforts into the public arena, they get ignored, mind you, it could be cause I'm no good.

I'm convinced there's a money god, one that looks through the unwashed masses and says, here you, have unbridled success and money. The recipients are chosen for simply being.

I know that when I've chucked my efforts into the public arena, they get ignored, mind you, it could be cause I'm no good.

Indeed. In my life have never seen a shred of evidence to support a direct correlation between intelligence and the public perception of success or mass popularity. (Not to say that bright people aren't 'successful' but one doesn't indicate the other from either side of that equation).

Always been impressed by the capacity of the Thais to employ English. A different alphabet, a different tonal structure -- no small feat.

Indeed. In my life have never seen a shred of evidence to support a direct correlation between intelligence and the public perception of success or mass popularity.

I'm currently reading a book that adresses this issue. The title is: "The Stupidity paradox" with the subtitle: "The Power and Pifalls of Functional Stupidity at Work". The book explains how and why intelligent people sometimes make appallingly stupid mistakes.

• 3 weeks later...

Thailand several decades ago decided that all students should study English from nursery school through the 12th grade. Only one problem ... there are nowhere near enough qualified English teachers to fill the many positions. More than half of the English teachers in public schools cannot speak the language even on a basic survival level, so how can anyone seriously expect them to teach it? A common practice is assigning the newest teachers to the English classes, regardless of their major. The logic is that they studied English more recently than the rest, so it should be better. (Plus no one else wants to teach it!) Until Thailand starts training sufficient English teachers, the situation in the schools is not going to change.

post-98-0-32196900-1480389089_thumb.jpg

This. If Thailand made a concerted effort to get suitably qualified English teachers to flow through the system, it would enormously help Thailand and the people.

What we have now is a system that is clearly dysfunctioning. Much as you describe. My (Thai) nephew has entire exercise books written in English, but he refuses to speak it! I must speak to him in Thai. I learn languages at the drop of a hat, and it's hard to fathom why someone particularly a child would encounter difficulty. I don't have time, nor the inclination to be frank, to teach him myself. He isn't interested either. I've explained to him many times (in Thai) that your life will be incredibly enriched if you learn English - you can travel the world and speak to everyone. He's enthusiastic, but he loses interest. I don't have time to school him! And it goes back to having well qualified English teachers in schools.

Okay here we go:

1. English teachers must hold at the very minimum a Bachelor's degree in a STEM subject by a University in the top 100 of the world.

2. Must pass a compulsory English and mathematical test mandated by International standards.

3. First language must be English

4. Very strict laws for fraudulent documents purporting to address the above. Prison time.

5. Ongoing reviews mandated by international standards of teachers performance. Bad review, cancel work permit.

6. Sample students before intervention, then revisit intermittently to track progress and fine tune improvements.

7. Exile all missionaries for a period of no less than everyday they spent in Thailand, must spend 1000 outside.

8. A relaxed visa arrangement for entitled applicants, promoted worldwide as fee free, with cash inducements, and tax-free perks, such as free housing, fare, holidays etc.

9. A marketing launch promoting English as the world language and the way to get ahead in the world. Perhaps a kind of heads up! ad on the telly that kind of makes fun of people who can't speak English (no wait, Nate's already got that covered). Nah, that's just naff. The better way is to just ask people - do you want your kids to speak English? If no, why not? It could make them rich, etc.

All of the above could be funded and neatly dovetail with the initiative to curtail smoking by 2020 along with other health initiatives. Well this is going to cost a fortune, but this is a misstep I don't think Thailand can afford to make. As Flashy's comments prove, Thailand risks being left behind which it really can't afford to be.

• 3 weeks later...

I've explained to him many times (in Thai) that your life will be incredibly enriched if you learn English - you can travel the world and speak to everyone. He's enthusiastic, but he loses interest.

I think maybe the more literal meaning of "enriched" may have more success!