Thai Visa Restrictions: How To Apply For Multiple-Entry 6-Months Tourist Visa

Coss

Of particular interest to Lao Expats, and maybe Cambo et al

read the full and detailed explanation at http://jclao.com/thai-visa-restrictions-apply-multiple-entry-6-months-tourist-visa/

Thai Visa Restrictions Cause Difficulties for Foreigners in Laos

The new Thai visa restriction is creating difficulties for many foreigners living in Laos, who rely on medical and commercial services across the border.

As a reminder, here’s what has been issued by the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane stipulates the following three points:

“1. From 1 December 2016 – 28 February 2017, foreigners of all nationalities could submit application for a Single Entry (60 days) Tourist Visa to Thailand without visa fee at the Consular Section of the Royal Thai Embassy.

2. Foreigners who work or reside permanently in the Lao PDR are eligble for applying for the Multiple Entries Tourist Visa (METV) to Thailand. METV costs 5,000 baht, valid for 6 months and foreigners would be able to stay in Thailand up to 60 days per journey. Rules and regulations apply.

3. For those nationalities that are currently under the the 30 day visa waiving scheme, 2 journeys to Thailand per year would be granted under the scheme through any international land boundary checkpoint to Thailand. Please inquire with immigration officers at the checkpoint for further information.â€

The Thai Consulate in Vientiane confirmed to J&C Services that the new Visa restrictions do not apply for Lao and Malaysian citizens. They could not provide any information on Vietnamese or Philippines nationals.

more at link at top of post

Interesting.....I thought they had reduced the 30 day allowance at a land border to 15 days :hmmm: ...Applying for the METV is a PITA ,or to use the Thai phrase " Lambark " as it involves submitting bank statements and tax returns plus the hefty fee.

Coss

Do you not have a better source of information than J&C Expat Services, a company whom are in business to provide "at a charge" Visa Services amongst others. They are not likely to say "Everything is Hunky Dory you don't need us" are they. As Dexi and PTBM have both pointed out the 15 days at Land Border was implemented many years ago late 2008 if memory serves me right, at the time my niece was over here on her passage to rights / Gap Year hiatus and had to plan her trips to Laos / Burma / Cambodia / Vietnam accordingly.

There have also been unsubstantiated rumours spread by many, including the self proclaimed "Bangkok Commentator" Stickman, claiming that there will be restrictions on the number of Visa exemptions allowed per year arriving by air. This does not appear to be the case, I am on my Fourth Exemption stamp since March 2016, all neatly placed on the same couple of adjacent pages (it iwas a new passport and my Thai is now good enough to request where stamp is placed)

There was also a rumour

Kong, whilst your mileage may vary, the issues around visa exempt land crossings at the bridge in Nong Khai, being reduced to two per year, are real and problematic for Expats who reside in Laos and visit Nong Khai on a semi regular basis.

I first came across these issues in the Thai Visa website, there are many posts there, I've had them confirmed as problematic by expats I know in Laos. (Though only twice)

The J&C Expat services article was used as a clear and concise piece of information on the matter. Their business notwithstanding, I happen to know the principle of this company and he is a reasonably straight up kinda guy, I have no interest in the company or its services.

So whether or not you like the article I referenced, as a clear piece of information, the actions of the Thai govt as they relate to the Friendship bridge at Nong Khai, concern me greatly, as when I live in Laos the weekend trips to Nong Khai are a useful and enjoyable excursion, allowing me to touch base with DumbCnut...

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update on the " Tourist visa exempt entry " ( TVEE ) situation .......People entitled to this now get 30 days at both land,sea and air crossings.This can be extended by 30 days at immigration for the standard fee ( 1900 bt ).Those using a land crossing are restricted to 2 entries per year.The only exception seems to be at the Mai Sai crossing ( ChiangRai ) where,for some reason they don`t allow TVEE s.