Motorcycle : How Dangerous ?

buffalo_bill

Gentlemen ,

in a recent discussion about how many BTS trains you have to let pass in the morning I suggested our Great Leader Khunsanuk to use a scooter or motorcycle to avoid the queues . Leader Khunsanuk strictly rejected my constructive suggestion by claiming motorcycle too mut dangerous .

I have to admit that motorcycles in the meantime have become my favorite transportation device in the big city although not for countrywide trips , I only use them for Sukhumvit-related jouneys and getting in and out of the sois . I do not have any statistics to use but my personal feeling is not that I am taking a major risk . I am an ex tuktuk-man but they really have become a pest by asking 200 Baht for a trip round the corner .

Over to you for further instructions .

Whilst the vast number of motor vehicle deaths in Thailand are involving motorcycles, one does have to remember that the numbers of Thais riding bikes at high speeds all over the country, vastly outweighs the number of fine gentlemen tootling about the sois of pleasure in Bangkok and Pattaya.

I for one have no hesitation using a moto in LOS or Laos, despite the carnage. I know folk who have serious bikes and travel to other countries on them, which I'd like to do, if it were not for the constraints of taking MLG and friends and chickens etc with me.

Gentlemen ,

while the gentleman on Mr baa99´s photo appears in public with open sandals and no socks I further wish to exclude myself from " people with low income " said to be mainly involved in fatal motorcycle accidents according to Mr bust´s detailed report .

More, the majority of motorcycle pilots does usually assure me of " very safety " once being questioned about possible risks .

Awaiting the final assessment of Leader Khunsanuk I remain

BuBi

I have been driving motorcycles of all sorts for 50+ years. Accidents are unavoidable. Why? Other vehicle drivers! In Thailand you have...terrible roads, uneducated vehicle drivers, little enforcement of the laws, poorly maintained vehicles, about anyone can get a drivers license, about anyone can get a vehicle, etc.

Something as simple as "right of way" is not understood much less practiced.

One rides and their own risk.

I long ago read that most accidents occur within 5 km of ones house so the short hops are the most dangerous!

Hi,

I too use them a lot, but I try to avoid using them for long distances or on big roads. I also do not use them at night, as it is not unusual for these guys to be drunk by then.

Thailand ranks 2nd in the number of traffic deaths in the world. Most of those deaths are people on motorbikes. So, yes, very dangerous.

Sanuk!

I ride often and at distance in Thailand, yes idiots out there, but by and by I find it oddly safer than Australia.

Reason being is that Australian car drivers mostly have not driven Motobikes and are very aggressive. In THailand at least most car drivers have driven a motobike and show at times some small respect.

I won't use moto taxi for long distance, I did use almost daily for short distance.

Most of the near accidents I've had have been other peoples (drunks) faults

I was driving in northern Bangkok one dark, rainy evening when an idiot on a mo'cy' WITHOUT LIGHTS streaked across the road in front of me. I barely managed to miss hitting him. And of course, if I'd plastered him all over the road, it would have been the Farang's fault. :(

When driving in Bangkok, motocycles are the main thing you have to watch out for. The drivers seem to think they are immortal.

Being a biker, I understand the risks on a bike and give the other bikers the right of way as I hope other drivers

would do for me.

Out here in Samut Sakhon maybe 5% of the bikers wear helmets. The police are only out toward the end of the month,

hence, no enforcement of the laws. Hell, after 6 PM you are hard pressed to find any police out unless they are manning

the shakedowns at the end on the month.

TIT...quite obvious that the Thai gov and the police don't give a hoot about much, except if it can put $$$ in their pockets!