International Banking: Usa <> Thailand

cavanami

I've got another 8 years before moving back permanently. I'll be on a tourist visa, so I think that there could be some problems. If there are problems, I'll try another bank until I find a friendly bank.

Get a one year visa, O or O-A, I forget which one but the one where you must leave Thailand every 90 days, thus no

80 day reporting.

First branch I went to for Bangkok Bank told me I needed a work permit to open account (5 years ago). Second branch I tried (@ Fortune IT mall on Ratchada - soi 3) opened the account because I had a local address. I was just trying out of curiosity but found the benefit of having a local account enormous while staying in BKK (used to pay all bills, rent, school, dentist, etc. -- all via online transfers). Wasn't asked for an embassy letter but that may be a new phenomenon along with more regulations for US citizens -- I don't know. I didn't keep a significant balance there but maybe 60k baht - (drawn on ATM from Schwab ha!) - but once I had the account it certainly made managing payment of bills easier.

Bankgkok Bank has a branch in NYC which can be an intermediary between a US bank account and your Bangkok bank account in Thailand. Supposedly you do an ACH transfer to the Bankok Bank branch in NYC to deposit funds to your Bankok Bank account in Thailand. I've never used this - but I will be in a few months. We'll see how it goes. For US folks I always recommend a Schwab account if doing a short term stay in Thailand, having a Thai bank account would be right up there in second place.

I've got the Schwab account but a Thai friend that looked after my house has the Schwab Debit card to make ATM withdrawals to pay for repairs. When I open up a Thai bank account, I'll get the Schwab Debit card back from her. I'll check on a 1 year visa

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question and hope this is the right place to post it. I'm from the US and will be doing freelance work in Taiwan, traveling into Bangkok when I get a chance. I know there are limits on bringing cash into Thailand and thought it was something like $10,000 USD or equivalent. What if you carry more cash into the Country than the limit? I will be paid in cash for the work I do in Taiwan and am trying to figure out "what if" I carry more cash than the limit. I have a KTB Thai bank account and can get a better exchange rate at Vasu if I carry money in vs. wire transfer. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for any help proved.

I lived in Taiwan and was in Bangkok regularly a few deacades ago it seems.

I travel frequently, best advise I ever had was get andATM card from a good ank and just use that, taking large chunks out as you need it.

I believe Thailand it's now $20USD, however I don't know what Taiwan is, you need to know that too, and over that, it's still legal, you just have to declare it.

A quick search takes you to Taiwan airport regulations

Strict limits on TWD, only 60,000 - about $2000 USD

Less restrictions on USD

Having lived in Taiwan, it's pretty strict place, I'd want to be "very" legal if I was there again

Currency Export regulations:

Allowed

Local currency (New Taiwan Dollar-TWD): up to TWD 60,000.-;

Chinese currency: up to CNY 20,000.-;

Foreign currency: up to USD 10,000.-, or its equivalent;

Bearer traveler's checks, other types of checks, promissory notes, drafts, or other forms of negotiable instruments up to the value of USD 10,000.-.