The Misconception Of Eating Healthy

bust

I have been trying to adjust my diet as the kgs are starting to add on over the last few years.

While I would never consider myself obese I am certain my BMI would argue with that.

Watched an interesting documentary last night.

You can watch the full story here. Not sure if it works everywhere. Just need to register and is a free site. Has some great content.

http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/901631555984/that-sugar-film

A few years ago it was fat in the diet that was bad.Now its sugar and carbs in general.Its getting hard to find something to eat that isn`t actually bad for you.Maybe changing to a Thai style way of eating would be good - rice,fish sauce chillies and veg. ... :chinaman:

• Like 1

I've found I lose weight when in Thailand (we stay 9 months Thailand, 3 in the states). Mainly due to smaller portions. I like to eat so, when in the states, I get a massive platter of food, I eat it, a star member of the clean plate club. When in Thailand I eat the smaller portions and am content so the weight falls. The constant frying, sugar and MSG though in the Thai food doesn't help.

I've found I lose weight when in Thailand <snip> Mainly due to smaller portions.

Smaller portions, warmer climate, and more exercise in my case. Here in California I average 5,000 - 10,000 steps per day even though I bicycle daily and workout 4 times/wk. In Thailand with no bicycle or car I try to walk everywhere I can, and clock between 12,000 - 28,000 steps daily. I always drop at least 5 or 6 lbs. in the 6 weeks I spend each year in LOS. I try to eat healthy but essentially eat what I want, just less of it now that I'm officially old... :yikes:

• 3 months later...

Its almost impossible to eat healthy in America even if you shop at Whole Foods and other health food businesses consistently. Why? The big food makers' lobby are who the regulators listen to because they get to be head of the FDA, etc.

What they started doing years ago was change the legal definition of the term 'natural' and 'organic'. They saw that Whole Foods and other places were making a ton of money charging very high prices for natural food. The big food companies got the government to change what could be labeled 'natural' or 'organic' and other health related terms. So, what you maybe buying thinking its 'natural' is slightly altered 'regular' food. They get to mark the price up on food that is essentially the same.

Vegetables are also treated with chemicals, etc. You pretty much have to live in the middle of South Dakota, grow your own food near a water source free from fracking, and impurities dumped into the nearby source river.

I am hooked on processed sugar. Its a daily struggle not to eat it all. I've been very good the last several years. I've totally given up soft drinks and cow's milk. I only use almond milk and I drink various kinds of teas.

I got a blender several months ago and started making veggie/fruit smoothies. Far more salads. I've reduced meat to once a week at most.

When in Thailand and other SE Asian countries I tend to lose weight as well. The food is fresher and without chemicals generally speaking. Sex burns calories as well :)

• Like 1

When in Thailand and other SE Asian countries I tend to lose weight as well. The food is fresher and without chemicals generally speaking. Sex burns calories as well :)

There are frequent reports in the mainstream news in Thailand about the very high amounts of chemicals and other nasties used by farmers to grow their produce. Ask any Thai who takes a genuine interest in their health and they will tell you all about it.

A friend in Khon Kaen has a plot of land and his wife grows various vegetables and takes them to the village market every other day to sell them. His reports about the amount of chemicals used is scary.

I can't comment on the use of chemicals in farming in America, but in Thailand it's pretty bad!

If you're willing to make the effort, you can eat well in Thailand. But it is an effort. :(

Why isn’t more organic food produced in Thailand? The market’s barriers to entry are high, for growers and businesses alike. Farmers who want to avoid the health hazards of handling synthetic pesticides will discover that not every plot of available land can be converted to organic. To qualify for certification, a field must be irrigated with water that tests free of pollutants. This requirement excludes most land situated near factories. Even land next to a large road can be disqualified because of airborne pollution.

Farmers are also hindered by de-facto “startup†costs, because their incomes decline during the years needed to convert fields to chemical-free cropping. The time required is between 1 to 1.5 years for domestic sales and 2 to 3 years for exports. During this interim, the growers cannot yet earn those higher prices because their products are still not certifiable. Yet they have to cope with the reduced crop yields associated with organic farming. Compared to conventional agriculture, natural methods yield 13% to 61% less per hectare, depending on the type of crop.

Organic farming takes more sweat and toil. Going chemical-free means removing weeds manually and producing one’s own organic fertilizer. Without chemicals, farmers have to abandon monocropping, the practice of growing a single crop year after year on the same land. Instead they need to adopt polycropping, rotating crops so as to improve soil quality and reduce pests. This takes more effort and reduces economies of scale.

https://www.scbeic.com/en/detail/product/3362

Organic food can be bought from various " Royal Projects " up North initiated by the late king although I do not know how to get hold of it, my hotel uses it. Thailand grown shrimps I do not touch any more due to overpollution, they are regularly banned from the EU for that reason .

Considering the national lazyness I doubt there is any control about pesticides .